Use Classic Start Menu Issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

Not sure if this has been covered, however after installing SS - and checking the profile I created, classic start menu was being used.  I disabled this (unchecked it) and logged back on.  Classic start menu still being used.  Why?  Do I actually have to go into the profile and turn it off?

Why does the profile default to NON WinXP theme?

Thanks

Monday, August 6, 2007 9:34 PM

Answers

•  

Based on my further research, this should be an expected behavior:

The classic start menu is controlled by the following registry values at the same time:

Policy:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSimpleStartMenu]

Shell State:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellState]

Note: In the 0020 position, if the value is 00000000, this is the classic start menu, and if the value is 02000000, we are using simple start menu. By default, the value is 02000000.

If “Allow only the Classic Start menu” restriction is selected when creating a new user account, changes will be made to the above two places. If this option is unchecked later, although the policy will be disabled, ShellState’s value will not be modified(00000000). Thus, we need switch to simple start menu or change registry key to 02000000 manually.

However, if this restriction is unchecked when creating a new user, no change will be made to the above registry keys. Thus, ShellState will keep its default value. If this restriction is enabled later, only policy change is made. Thus, under this situation, we can use the restriction to switch between two modes of start menu.

Regards,

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hi SpurtSpanker,

Do you have the user account locked or Windows Disk Protection enabled? If not, please uncheck the following option when creating a new user account:

Windows Restrictions -> Start Menu Restrictions -> Allow only the Classic Start menu

Based on my test, if we have this option selected when you log onto the account for the first time, we have to manually switch to XP’s Start Menu. However, if this option is unchecked when creating the new user account, we can switch between two kinds of start menu using the above option.

Please also understand that by default, a new user account is created with “High Restrictions”. Thus only the Start button and Taskbar are configured as Windows XP theme.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:37 AM
  •  

Based on my further research, this should be an expected behavior:

The classic start menu is controlled by the following registry values at the same time:

Policy:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSimpleStartMenu]

Shell State:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellState]

Note: In the 0020 position, if the value is 00000000, this is the classic start menu, and if the value is 02000000, we are using simple start menu. By default, the value is 02000000.

If “Allow only the Classic Start menu” restriction is selected when creating a new user account, changes will be made to the above two places. If this option is unchecked later, although the policy will be disabled, ShellState’s value will not be modified(00000000). Thus, we need switch to simple start menu or change registry key to 02000000 manually.

However, if this restriction is unchecked when creating a new user, no change will be made to the above registry keys. Thus, ShellState will keep its default value. If this restriction is enabled later, only policy change is made. Thus, under this situation, we can use the restriction to switch between two modes of start menu.

Regards,

Friday, August 10, 2007 12:24 PM