ie4unit.exe "Per-User Initialization Utility" crashing on first login of a new profile RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I am getting an error whenever I log onto my servers via RDP as per below:

    Faulting application name: ie4uinit.exe, version: 11.0.9600.17207, time stamp: 0x53a22332
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x5315a05a
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000001a93
    Faulting process id: 0x2120
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cfe289d12e2d0e
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\ie4uinit.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 0fb3b222-4e7d-11e4-b476-005056910008

    My server is running Internet Explorer 11. This has only started happening in the past fortnight.

    It only happens on the first login of a user where the profile is initalized. If I move on from the error and log out / back in the error does not re-occur.

    If I remove the user profile from the server so it has to recreate it the error happens again.

    Screenshot below.

    IE Per-User Initialization Utility

    Any ideas or suggestions that might be causing this?

    My first thoughts are perhaps something under my group policy settings for IE is not compatible with IE11 and causes this issue..?

    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 12:51 AM

All replies

  • Faulting application name: ie4uinit.exe, version: 11.0.9600.17207

    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409

    Which command line switch is being used then?  Probably the reason it only happens once is that whatever switch that is, is only used once.  So then you could probably reproduce it by invoking it manually.  Or perhaps try it elevated to see if that changes anything.  Run ProcMon to see what is going on.  If it's a permissions thing it doesn't explain the bug.  A dump would tell you more.


    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle

    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Hi Robert,

    Thankyou for the pointers! I did manage to find further info based off what you told me. I did however find that "userenv" logging was removed from windows as of vista / server 2008 onwards so was unable to get log files that way.

    I followed the link you posted and tried manually running each of the four "ie4uinit" commands listed and was able to reproduce the error. The command that causes the error is:

    "C:\Windows\System32\ie4uinit.exe" -UserIconConfig

    Any insight on what this switch actually does and why it would crash? Or where I can find error logs on a server running 2008 R2?

    Thanks again for your help!


    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:24 PM
  • "C:\Windows\System32\ie4uinit.exe" -UserIconConfig

    Any insight on what this switch actually does and why it would crash?

    Just from the name.  Do you have any customization in that area?

    An alternative/supplement to running ProcMon that you could use here is  DependencyWalker  for its Profiler feature.  That would give you a trace of calls up to the crash. 

    ProcMon is coarser and depends on how optimized a program is that is being traced.  Hopefully ie4uinit.exe  won't be too optimized and so then could give you some good clues about what was going on using Registry and File access events.  ProcMon used to give us a simple way of getting a pseudo Stack Back Trace for the crashing thread but lately it seems the WER gets into the act in ways that I haven't figured out yet, so no longer as simple to analyze from there.  That's why a dump would probably be useful too.

    Robert Aldwinckle

    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 11:23 PM
  • I had the same problem under WES7 x64.

    On another website (IE11 installation fails in WES7 at OOBE) user 'bagira520' stated that this is known problem and that the workaround is to delete ie4uinit.exe under %SystemDrive%/Windows/SysWOW64.

    I fixed it by running the following registry file during installation of WES7:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    ; Remove IE 8 initialisation (Causes error "IE Per-User Initialization Utility has stopped working")
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{26923b43-4d38-484f-9b9e-de460746276c}]

    Both registry keys point to the 32-bit version of ie4uinit.exe under %SystemDrive%/Windows/SysWOW64.

    In my opinion this is a cleaner solution than deleting a file and let registry keys still point to the deleted file.

    • Proposed as answer by Dirksche Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:19 AM