none
Macro for auto 'Reschedule uncompleted work' in Project RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

Version - Project Server 2016.

One of my client requires a functionality to be implemented in MS Project such that all the work which is pending till date should auto reschedule itself each day.

Technically, kind of a macro which opens Project File from Server >> Project Tab >> Update Project dialog box >> selecting option button 'Reschedule uncompleted work to start after [Today's Date]' >> Ok. And this Macro should run by itself on daily basis.

Can anyone of you help me in this please?

Thanks

Manish

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:23 AM

All replies

• Manish --

Do you ever tell your clients that their idea is a BAD idea?  Seriously, what your client wants you to implement is a very bad idea.  The rescheduling of uncompleted work in the past should be handled by the PROJECT MANAGER on a WEEKLY basis after approving pending task updates in PWA.  When the PM opens the updated project schedule, the PM should immediately set the Status date and then reschedule uncompleted work from last week into this week.  There is no need for a macro to do this.  Frankly, there is no excuse for the project manager not doing this every week!

Just a thought.  Perhaps the others in this forum will have additional ideas for you.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, March 29, 2019 7:28 PM
  • Dale my friend,

You have forgotten the prerogative of all PMs:

"Never plan(or update plans). That way failure comes as a complete surprise avoiding needless stress in the weeks before failure";-)

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Sunday, March 31, 2019 12:15 AM
  • Dear Dale--

Thanks much for your response on this. Yes you are correct in all regards. That is actually a bad idea in any normal scenario as a basic fundamental of Project Management, and who better to highlight this other than you yourself. Thanks much!!

But let me just quickly detail out the scenario here, this client is a cluster of construction industries and has a lot of projects and very very much detailed Project Plans, amounting to say around 17000 activities in some cases.

Now the real problem begins as the actual PROJECT MANAGERS are not in HQ, they are at respective project sites. And in HQ, we have a PMO Team of just 3 persons who actually created these various projects in Project Server on behalf of all Project Managers. Once published on the server respective Team Members updates their Task Progress accordingly.

Now to follow the exact actual statuses of all the Project Progress, these PMO persons have a task to do on daily basis i.e. reschedule all the uncompleted work from previous days to start from today, for all the projects in the system. :)

Now this is where it becomes cumbersome for them, as these are a lot of projects and eats up a lot of time for the PMO team, which is also painful as well. So they requested me to automate this with some macro, if possible.

Request you all to please guide, if you something with you.

Thanks

Manish

Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:28 AM