Which Windows do I have? Windows 7, 8 or 10? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to find out what Windows is the being used on my PC? Because I started out with Windows 7 when I first bought my PC. Since then I received (2) two FREE UPGRADES. UPGRADES I NEVER AUTHORIZED or WANTED. So now, On the start-up screen it has a BIG #8. After the beginning screen it claims to be Windows 10 ???  
    Monday, September 3, 2018 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hello!

You can open a Command Prompt and type winver and it should tell you which version.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, September 3, 2018 6:35 AM
  • Hi E.A.Tollison, 

When did the issue occur?

As upgrading to Windows 10 for free is end in July 29, 2016, so we need to buy a vaild product key for Windows 10 if your device require to upgrade to Windows 10. 

Moreover, Windows 8 and Windows 10 use a different display mode and a flat style, so it is significantly different from Windows 7.

For checking the existing system version, we could go to press Windows key + R to get "Run" box, then type "winver" and press Enter key to check.

"On the start-up screen it has a BIG #8. "

No matter Windows 10 or Windows 8, it will not show a #8 at start up screen, would you upload the screen shot for detail information?

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Bests,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:31 AM
  • Hi E.A.Tollison,

As we have not heard from you for several days, not sure if the issue was resolved or have any update.

If you need any assistance, please reply to us directly.

If our reply is useful for you, please mark it as an answer. 

Bests,

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:58 AM