none
Citrix XAXD management pack RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone has experience with Citrix XAXD management pack?

Nothing is being discovered, expect License server which is separate management pack anyway.

I see nothing in dashboards under "Citrix Library" folder in SCOM console, no delivery controllers listed there.

Also, nothing under "Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop" folder, just empty dashboards.

I've followed this guide https://www.carlstalhood.com/citrix-scom-management-packs-xenappxendesktop/ and went thought it several times. I have installed License server MP and XAXD MP.

Also, I have checked one of the discoveries that should discover "Delivery Controller Computer Role" and that targets Windows Server. It basically checks registry to see whether Delivery Controller is installed, and Citrix RunAs account has access to registry so shouldn't be a problem, yet nothing happens.

Am I missing something obvious?

Friday, July 26, 2019 2:56 PM

Answers

• Thanks Stoyan, it seems that's the issue. I've found this in comments on Carl Stalhood's guide:

I think I will try to do the same thing you did - monitor key services.

Thanks again!

Niksa

Thursday, September 5, 2019 1:20 PM
  • @Stoyan, the version we run is 1903

Hi Niksa,

I think that the problem is solved in this particular case - unsupported version of XAXD. I had the same issue after my customer upgraded to 18xx. The problem is that those versions are not supported by the management pack. Here more details:

The latest version of the Citrix SCOM Management Pack for XenApp and XenDesktop is 3.14:

Citrix SCOM Management Pack for XenApp and XenDesktop

and it is from 2017. In the User Guide you will find the following:

So the latest supported versions is 16. If you have a newer version, it won't work :(

I had already many contact with Citrix about this and can tell you that they still don't know when the new MP versions will come. Untill then I am creating custom service monitors to cover at least the critical parts. 

Hope I could help you out. Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:22 PM

All replies

• Did you run the "Check Installation Prerequisites" and "Check Requirements and Connfiguration" tasks, available in the Citrix Library > Xenapp/xendesktop delivery controller view?

They are pretty well made and they return a lot of useful info!

Friday, July 26, 2019 3:58 PM
  • They are not being discovered in the first place, so there are no tasks. I believe the tasks you are mentioning are the ones you run once delivery controllers become visible.

The only server I see is Licencing server, but that's another management pack.

Monday, July 29, 2019 11:33 AM
  • Hi,

you need to ensure that the SCOM agents are properly installed and that the Computers are visible in SCOM. Afterwards you need to navigate to the Citrix Library, XenApp XenDesktop Delivery Controllers and try to install the agents (Citrix Agents) and if this fails then like CyrAz said run the tasks "Check prerequisites"...

One more thing...please make sure that you have followed all the configurations steps, described in the user guide of the MP. I know it is pretty well written and if you follow it percisely you should be able to get them monitored.

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Monday, July 29, 2019 12:01 PM
  • All Citrix computers have SCOM agent installed and are visible in Windows Computer state view. For example, Windows OS performance (logical disk, memory..) is being collected normally for those servers.

It looks like Citrix related objects are not being discovered at all. Only license server is discovered.

I have followed the guide to the point and it seems all what's left is to start over. 

Monday, July 29, 2019 1:30 PM
  • Hi Njadric,

Please find the details below.

For class 'Citrix MPXAXD Agent' , there is a discovery running called "XenApp and XenDesktop MP agent Service Discovery" which is targeted to "Xaxd delivery controller computer role"

- Now first, I looked at the discovery "Delivery controller computer role discovery" for the class "Xaxd delivery controller computer role"

ComTrade.Citrix.XenDesktop.DeliveryController.ComputerRole.Discovery:

It's a registry based discovery. Please make sure that the following registry keys are present on the Citrix servers.

SOFTWARE\Citrix\Citrix Desktop Delivery Controller

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Citrix Desktop Delivery Controller\VersionMajor

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Citrix Desktop Delivery Controller\VersionMajor

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ComTradeMPXAXDAgent

SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ComTrade\XenDesktop MP Agent\Version

SOFTWARE\ComTrade\XenDesktop MP Agent\Version

SOFTWARE\Citrix\Broker\Service

If not, it won't discover any server as Xaxd delivery controller computer role and as well as 'Citrix MPXAXD Agent'.

Regards,

Sourav

Saturday, August 3, 2019 5:37 AM
  • Thank you Sourav7_MSFT and sorry for late reply, I was off work for some time.

I have these registry keys present on my delivery controllers: 

SOFTWARE\Citrix\Citrix Desktop Delivery Controller

Others are not present, but I believe that's because an agent is not yet installed. It is my understanding that delivery controllers first need to be discovered in order to install the agent from SCOM console (that will then create these missing keys)

Not sure what to do.

Regards,

Niksa

Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:45 AM
  • Hi Niksa,

I have the same behaviour with one of my customer. Can you please check on your version of XenApp/XenDesktop, maybe it is the same issue? What version do you run?

Regards,

Thursday, September 5, 2019 11:09 AM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:08 PM

Hi Niksa,

I think that the problem is solved in this particular case - unsupported version of XAXD. I had the same issue after my customer upgraded to 18xx. The problem is that those versions are not supported by the management pack. Here more details:

The latest version of the Citrix SCOM Management Pack for XenApp and XenDesktop is 3.14:

Citrix SCOM Management Pack for XenApp and XenDesktop

and it is from 2017. In the User Guide you will find the following:

So the latest supported versions is 16. If you have a newer version, it won't work :(

I had already many contact with Citrix about this and can tell you that they still don't know when the new MP versions will come. Untill then I am creating custom service monitors to cover at least the critical parts. 

Hope I could help you out. Regards,

Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:22 PM
  • Thanks Stoyan, it seems that's the issue. I've found this in comments on Carl Stalhood's guide:

I think I will try to do the same thing you did - monitor key services.

Thanks again!

Niksa

Thursday, September 5, 2019 1:20 PM