none
One agent, multiple servers? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are currently evaluating DPM 2010.

What we would like to do is to have two DPM servers. DPM1 would be on the same site as the servers we will protect. DPM2 would be in another site. DPM1 would protect files, databases, Exchange and SharePoint. DPM2 would only be used for Bare Metal Recovery.

This would mean that both DPM1 and DPM2 would protect the same servers, but in different ways.

Would this be possible in DPM 2010?

Regards EriK

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:37 PM

Answers

• There is no such provision in DPM. You can use DPM1 itself to protect Baremetal recovery as well.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hi Erik,

Yes, you can configure the secondary DPM server to protect just the BMR backups.  In fact, you could configure DPM1 to only keep BMR recovery points for 1 day, then have the Secondary DPM server configured for a longer period of time.  That way the disk storage space requirements on the Primary is minimized while having ability to restore from Secondary for a longer period.

Example:

DPM1 - Make weekly BMR backup on Saturday, retention period 1 day. (Note: DPM does not use calendar days, it uses days that have RP's created. We will actually maintain 2 days of RP's but will be pruned back to one at midnight the following day.)

DPM2 - Protect the BMR datasource and set the retension range to desired time frame (IE: 5 days - Which is really 5 weeks in calendar days).  DPM2 will always protect the latest RP on the primary DPM server.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:46 PM

All replies

• There is no such provision in DPM. You can use DPM1 itself to protect Baremetal recovery as well.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I have been looking into having DPM1 beeing the primary DPM 2010 server and DPM2 would be the secondary DPM 2010 server.

But there are a couple of things with this

1. If I would store both the "general" backup and the Bare Metal on DPM1 I would need a lot of disk in DPM1.

2. Would it be possible to replicate just the Bare Metal recovery points from DPM1 to DPM2?

3. The reason to have two DPM servers in two different sites is to have the Bare Metal off site in case site would break down totaly.

Do you have any good thoughts or ideas on this :) ?

// Erik

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Hi Erik,

Yes, you can configure the secondary DPM server to protect just the BMR backups.  In fact, you could configure DPM1 to only keep BMR recovery points for 1 day, then have the Secondary DPM server configured for a longer period of time.  That way the disk storage space requirements on the Primary is minimized while having ability to restore from Secondary for a longer period.

Example:

DPM1 - Make weekly BMR backup on Saturday, retention period 1 day. (Note: DPM does not use calendar days, it uses days that have RP's created. We will actually maintain 2 days of RP's but will be pruned back to one at midnight the following day.)

DPM2 - Protect the BMR datasource and set the retension range to desired time frame (IE: 5 days - Which is really 5 weeks in calendar days).  DPM2 will always protect the latest RP on the primary DPM server.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Hi Mike,

That sounds like something that would work :)

What are your general thoughts regarding how long you should keep your Bare Metal RP's? For us they would only be used if a server completely broke down. Maybe one doesn't really need to have that many days (weeks) worth of history of Bare Metal on DPM2? I mean, if you one day have to restore a server from Bare Metal I would guess you most likely want to restore the latest one anyway?

If that is true I thought you maybe could set up something like this...

On DPM1 you protect your usual files Monday through Friday. On Saturday DPM1 does the Bare Metal protection. On Sunday you let DPM2 sync the Bare Metal from DPM1 (or will it do that automatically once DPM1 is done with its Bare Metal protection)?

On Monday through Friday you also make DPM2 sync the regular files from DPM1. But you only keep those files for one or two days on DPM2.

By doing this I am thinking that if something happens on the site where we have DPM1 on a Thursday which would make both the servers and DPM1 to break down. It would mean you could do a bare metal of the servers and get them in the state they were last Sunday. But you would also have a backup of all the regular files from Thursday.

Does this make any sense :) ?

Would really appreciate your feedback on both if this is possible in DPM 2010, and if it is a reasonable thing to do?

// Erik

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Yes, your idea is a good one. What I like about BMR is it gets you back to a working state quickly and easily, and although you may not think you need a longer retension period, I have seen servers get in a bad state but didn't show symptoms for a few weeks. If you have the disk space on the DPM2 server, it's worth maintaining more than one or two weeks.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:24 PM