Skype (On Prem) IM issue when initiating chat with a DL or Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

We are on SfB 2015 On-Prem completely. One user recently reported and later we tested as well i.e. whenever we used to initiate a IM with a DL/Group, Skype Client used to initiate a separate IM with the offline users (in that DL) in different chat windows with a message to invite them for the conference. 

"ABC XYZ is inviting you to a Skype for Business meeting. You can join via the web or Desktop client by clicking this link. https://meet.xxxxxxx.com/username/xxxxxxx"

As per one MS article, this is said to be because of the "introduction of this behavior with the Teams interoperability".

$a = New-CsClientPolicyEntry -Name "EnableTeamsInteropEscalation" -Value "False"​ 

Set-CsClientPolicy -Identity "WebSearch" -PolicyEntry @{Add=$a}​

FYR, MS Forum link :- https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/f8da053c-1dd3-4049-bc22-0683e55e85b3/skype-client-group-issue?forum=sfbfr

However, I checked we don’t have any Client policy with name Websearch.

Can any one please help in this issue.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi SFB.Analyst,

I just tested in my lab environment, like you mentioned it works well when you send IM individually to user A via P2P IM, but user A as a member of one Skype group will prompt "xxx is inviting you to a Skype for Business meeting....." in Teams when you send IM to this group.

Have you tried running the two commad lines to test if it works in your environment?

By the way, we would suggest you add this idea and vote for it in Teams User Voice if you like. If PG adopts this idea, this feature will be updated in the future.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Calvin-Liu Wednesday, April 10, 2019 5:18 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:27 AM
  • Hi Calvin,

As I mentioned, we have NO interoperatibility with Microsoft Teams then how come this feature is automatically introduced. Hence, please stop referring or relating it to Teams.

I'm asking being on Skype On Prem completely. Also, the command mentioned isn't applicable as it will edit the Client Policy named Websearch which we dont have at all in our environment.

My issue is simple, if User A initiates a IM with a Group/DL why the offline users (in that group) are being sent an automatic reply.

• Edited by SFB.Analyst Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

I'm wondering if you made any changes before it happens, like updating CU or anything else?

Would you please help elaborate your SFB server environment, just confirming if it is pure on premise without hybrid?

Does it occur to all users? If it occurred to all users when sending IM to group, please make sure the recipients are all in your organization and are based on premise.

And if only specific user has this issue, please try to clear the client sip cache to see if the issue could be fixed.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 12, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi Calvin,

We have not applied any CU patch on Skype On Prem environment in last 10 months.

Also, after your answers, I tried to further dig into the issue and found indeed another team (based on other location) started the very few user's migrations onto Skype Online, on a pilot basis but this is started recently making the environment a hybrid one.

And so, I rechecked for the policy named "Websearch" on Skype Online environment and still, found no such client policy.

From the MS Teams perspective, we have plans to use its PChat feature only (as there is no feature of moving PChats from SFB On-prem to Online) that would also be applied in future. Hence, we have created few of the chat rooms there in MS Teams but its not enabled at all for any of the user.

Please confirm, would this be impacting at all causing the said issue.

• Edited by SFB.Analyst Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

As we don't have such lab environment for reproducing your query, would suggest you try running the following command to have a test as this is a reply that given from MS, even though the parameter "WebSearch" isn't found from Client policy.

$a = New-CsClientPolicyEntry -Name "EnableTeamsInteropEscalation" -Value "False"​ 

Set-CsClientPolicy -Identity "WebSearch" -PolicyEntry @{Add=$a}

If it still cannot help, would suggest you open a case to MS to further troubleshooting if possible. Thanks for understanding!

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Friday, April 19, 2019 9:02 AM