RHEL 6 support? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've been testing Kernel-integrated hv driver with fairly moderate success since 2.6.33. It looks as if Debian-based distributions seem either to work or not depending on your hardware. hv is still considered staging quality in the mainline kernel. I've seen quite weird behaviour like lost network connections, failing disk controllers on both Ubuntu lucid (LTS version) and Debian squeeze guests while the Windows guests always worked without any strange behaviours.

When I switched to RHEL 5 and CentOS 5 for productive workloads using "official" packaged and tested Microsoft drivers, these problems disappeared.
    I don't think Debian or Ubuntu are doing such a bad work on their kernels, but some parts of HV still seem quite rough (thus are in staging).

Now that RHEL 6 is out, I've been waiting to see MS adding official support for RHEL 6 like they do for SLES 11 (both are employing a Kernel based on 2.6.32).
    Any news or experiences?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:52 AM

Answers

• We're currently working on implementing the API changes that went in across all the drivers to hv_mouse. No ETA for release at this time.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:04 PM

All replies

• I would be interested in RHEL 5.6 support before 6, when will this be tested?
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Given that RHEL 5U6 is based on the same kernel, it should work. However, we've yet to complete a formal test pass at this time.

As far as RHEL 6 support - that's a totally different animal. Since Red Hat has moved to 2.6.32 but removed our drivers from /drivers/staging/hv, we will need to provide a set of drivers. We're currently investigating what is necessary to get them working.

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Any news on the results of the investigation?

Thanks,

Doug

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:04 AM
  • While I can't publicly comment on a release date, it's been bumped up very high in our priority queue. If you'd like to beta test a build once it's available, email me at mike.sterling@microsoft.com and I'll see what I can do.

-M

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Just as update: I saw there have been quite a lot of commits also from the guys working at MS on the Hyper-V modules in the upstream. The quality of and of the code has improved and got some cleanup so the better the integration with the mainline, the less effort I'd expect to get a verified driver for RH Enterprise Linux 6.

So yes thank you for the offer and yet I can say that the I have not run in the same trouble with RHEL 5.6 and SL 5.6 (5rolling yet) using the Linux IC 2.1 the as with any kind of Ubuntu VMs using the mainline kernel. (interesting though...)

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Just as update: I saw there have been quite a lot of commits also from the guys working at MS on the Hyper-V modules in the upstream. The quality of and of the code has improved and got some cleanup so the better the integration with the mainline, the less effort I'd expect to get a verified driver for RH Enterprise Linux 6.

So yes thank you for the offer and yet I can say that the I have not run in the same trouble with RHEL 5.6 and SL 5.6 (5rolling yet) using the Linux IC 2.1 the as with any kind of Ubuntu VMs using the mainline kernel. (interesting though...)

I'm glad to see that someone's been following our work upstream. :)

The current plan is that the drivers for RHEL 6 will be a backport from upstream - so the code will be much cleaner and have a lot of the layers of complexity removed.

If you're using Ubuntu 10.10, there will be a kernel update being pushed to live soon that will resolve the errors that are currently being seen (schedule while atomic) - refer to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/752064 for more information.

-M

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:00 PM
  • The ELRepo.org team have build a kmod for Hyper-v on RHEL6 x76 and x86_64. We are currently running it in test with no issues. Please note that the RPM doesn't add the drivers to /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/sysconfig/modules/ so you need to do this by hand.

These include hv_blkvsc, hv_netvsc, hv_storvsc & hv_vmbus.

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-hyperv

- R

• Edited by Resnick Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:40 PM Forgot to include the name of the modules to add to modprobe
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:39 PM
  • i installed the rpm on RHEL6...what is the module and modprobe.conf file we need to create?
    Monday, May 16, 2011 10:52 PM
  • I just created a module script named something like hyperv.modules in /etc/sysconfig/modules, mode set to 755 I think.

contents were something simple like

#!/bin/sh

if[ -n "$(depmod -v | grep hyperv)" ]; then modprobe -a hv_storvsc hv_vmbus hv_netvsc hv_blkvsc >/dev/null 2>&1

fi

It is simple with no fancy error checking but I assume you will want the drivers to always load.  I hope that helps someone.

It would be nice if the elrepo drivers played with Satori project mouse integration drivers but when trying to install the inputvsc drivers, it doesn't see the VMbus.  I will happily report that the elrepo synthetic nic doesn't cause a kernel panic on VMs with more than one proc due to the IRQ priority issue like the emulated one will.

-Keith

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:50 PM
  • I didn't gave a look at this thread lately - good to see the effort from ELRepo! The mouse drive from Project Satori looks merged into mainline, now called 'hv_mouse', see here in Linus' tree.

Side-note about Ubuntu/Debian: Personally I kept playing on Ubuntu LTS with a stable-Tree that includes a ton of cherry-picking from the branch of the staging-area Maintainer: Yes, I do see stability improvements that's coming with 2.6.39/3.0 and forthcoming. My 2.6.39 Kernel + > 400 hv Patches from staging-next runs stable (at least to the extent I can test it).

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Finally, get LIS 3.1 supporting RHEL6, 6.1 and now even officially CentOS 6: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26837

And yes, forget anything about re-compiling drivers or installing via DKMS, plain rpm package - and they do work nota bene (already had the opportunity to test)

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:10 PM
  • but... the inputvsc? :(

Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:03 PM
  • but... the inputvsc? :(

Currently being worked on, and if you have the skills or desire, the code's available in the Linux kernel for hacking on...err, cleaning up. :)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:09 PM
  • I did install it using IC 2.1 and CentOS 5.6 using the code on xen site and compiling it, but my knowledge stops here :(

On IC3.1 and Cent6.0 that solution doesn't work.

any idea about this release?

thanks

Friday, August 5, 2011 5:00 PM
  • We're currently working on implementing the API changes that went in across all the drivers to hv_mouse. No ETA for release at this time.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I'm just giving a bump to check the status of the mouse driver here in October. I have to run an instance of Centos 6 under Hyper-V (DataCenter) for a specialized application.

Thanks for your updates!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:01 AM
  • For the record, LIS 3.1 seems to be broken on Windows Server 8 Developer Preview. CentOS 6 unpatched or patched Kernel Panics after reboot. I guess that's not supported / is expected, but FYI.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Mouse: It's been checked in upstream (pull down linux-next for a sneak peek).

Network fix: Also has been checked in upstream.

We're wrapping up a couple other items, then we'll start on the packaging and testing.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:59 PM
  • How close are we talking for mouse support in RHEL 6/6.1? 

• Edited by YeskeJA Monday, October 31, 2011 4:31 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:30 PM