none
Search service account cannot connect to SQL Server database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've installed MOSS 2007 on Windows Server 2008, and we're using another Windows Server 2008 machine as the backend database server. During the configuration I've encountered problems while trying to start the Windows SharePoint Services Search Service. While troubleshooting it, I've disabled UAC on the SQL server, which seemed to be the cause for the problem.

Before disabling UAC, I got this error:

Login failed for user 'nn/nn'. Reason: token-based server access validation failed with an infratstructure error. 

After I disabled UAC, the error that appears in the SQL server logs is the following:

Login failed for user nn/nn. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database.

Error 18456, Severity 14, State 38.

I've ensured that the Search service account has server admin roles, as well as tried adding it to local administrators group. Nothing has helped. Any pointers are appreciated.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, June 22, 2009 4:20 PM attempt to avoid use of "asap" or "urgent" but say the same thing removed. If you are in a hurry don't oush us here - ring MS Customer Support services.
    • Edited by Kaerwek Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:45 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:23 PM

All replies

• Try giving it the sysadmin role in SQL. If that works then you can bring it down to a less priviledged role and see if that works.

Debasish

SharePoint Architect
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, however I've researched and found that same advice elsewhere and already tried it. In fact, that account has currently all SQL server roles available (including the sysadmin role). 

Update: I've ensured that in the Database server the Search account has the sysadmin and securityadmin roles. However, when logging on locally with the Search account and opening Management Studio, and trying to view various parts such as security-related stuff, I get the error that the account I'm using does not have securityadmin roles. 

It simply seems as if something is still masking the actual user account I'm trying to use. 
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:45 AM