none
Collapsing task RRS feed

All replies

• Hi Peperbusse,

I'm afraid I don't follow exactly.  If you collapse up to level 2 and then manually expand a summary task the subtasks of the expanded summary are shown.  What do you expect it to do?  Do you want to only show outline level 2 tasks - no subtasks?  The answer there is to filter, not collapse.  Insert the Outline Level field and autofilter on outline level 2.  To remove the filter, press F3.

Monday, December 8, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Peperbusse, Julie doesn't follow exactly and I don't either, but I think you are going in the wrong direction, I'm afraid. If you have all of your tasks linked to predecessors and successors in a network, and then someone starts deleting tasks, you will end up with the remaining tasks having no predecessors or no successors. But if you give the tasks you don't want zero duration, they will still be there but have no effect. Your complaint that there is some sort of "shortcoming" is misplaced.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:37 AM
  • To collapse all tasks and keep them collapsed, even when I manually click an arrow in front of a summary, I need to go through these steps:

Outline>Level 5
    Outline>Level 4
    Outline>Level 3
    Outline>Level 2
    Outline>Level 1

If I have 250 tasks underneath level 5 and choose to show them via Outline>level 5, Project exactly does what you expect. You see only level 5 tasks/summaries. When I go back to level 1 via Outline menu, all things are ok as well. Now when I wan't to see level 2 of one specific level 1 summary, I expand the list by clicking on the white triangle in front of that specific level 1 task. Now what's happening is what I don't expect. Since you switched from level 5 straight to level 1 it expands all tasks under that specific summary down to level 5. I expect to only see a list of the level 2 summaries of that specific task and all summaries below level 2 collapsed. All I was asking for is if there is a way to make Project allways collapse all the summaries beneath a summary that you manually collapse by clicking the black triangle?

@Trevor: Thanks for mentioning the predecessor issue, but it isn't an issue here. I don't provide the links between the tasks. That's something they have to do after they altered the list to their needs. Beside that, most task are dependent on only a few milestones. As long as those milestones aren't deleted (which won't be the case and when deleted you get a warning too) there really isn't much to it.

• Edited by Peperbusse Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:02 AM
  • Hi Peperbusse,

I understand what you mean, and would suggest that as it works now it is a design feature.  I would be simple to code in the selection of L5, L4 etc to a macro that is run to "reset" the view.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:29 AM
  • To echo Ben's comments - as it works now is "by design".  If you click to expand summary tasks it shows all subtasks for that task.  As I mentioned autofiltering on the Outline level field may get you close to what you want.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:11 PM