none
VM Backup with Linux Fedora 23 not working RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 2012 R2 Hyper-V cluster and we are using DPM 2012 R2 UR8 to backup our VMs.  We just updated 3 VMs from Linux Fedora 19 to Fedora 23 and now after updating to Fedora 23 when the VM backups run, they are failing with this error in DPM: "The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID 30111 Details: VssError:The writer experienced a non-transient error.  If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur. (0x800423F4))"

The VSS writer "Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer" also goes to a failed state and has a last error of "Non-retryable error"

In the Windows Application Event log this is the error: "A VSS writer has rejected an event with error 0x800423f4, The writer experienced a non-transient error.  If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur.  Changes that the writer made to the writer components while handling the event will not be available to the requester. Check the event log for related events from the application hosting the VSS writer.

Operation:
       PrepareForSnapshot Event

Context:
       Execution Context: Writer
       Writer Class Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
       Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {739f04ef-2257-4f4a-b6ba-a4cf451b77bf}
       Command Line: C:\Windows\system32\vmms.exe
       Process ID: 24236

I've reset the VSS writer but that hasn't fixed it.  I have also removed it from DPM and re-added it with no luck.

Does DPM 2012 R2 UR8 support this kind of backup with Linux Fedora 23?

Any ideas how to make this work?

Monday, February 1, 2016 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I see that this is an older topic but i have exactly the same problem with an Ubuntu 14.04 VM. AT first i was able to make backups with DPM 2012R2 (4.2.1553.0) but suddenly it started failing with the exact same error messages. Backups will only succeed if the VM is shutdown, while running it remains impossible.

Because the VM is not managed by us we don't know what is going on within the VM, we have contacted the customer responsible for the VM to take a look at logfiles to see if it registers a problem during the backup.

The told us everything was fine, but  we are still unable to make a normal backup.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Grtx

Peter

Friday, November 4, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

Until the problem can be investigated inside the guest, you can work around the problem by deselecting the "backup (volume checkpoint) option in the integration services settings for that guest.   Make sure the latest IS are installed on that VM. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 4, 2016 4:37 PM
  • This workaround just worked for me and I want to understand why.

In my case the datasource being protected is a Server 2003 VM running under Hyper-V 2012 R2 and I'm using DPM 2012 R2 to protect it.

I get the exact error listed in the original post. I've tried everything to fix it. Sometimes adding and removing some of the VM's VHDs seems to fix it for a while, then the error comes back. I've moved it to another Hyper-V server with exactly the same results.

All other VMs on the Hyper-V host are being protected without any problem. This VM is the only one exhibiting the error.

So, in short, why does this workaround work?

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

Deselecting the integration services Backup (volume checkpoint) option tells the Hyper-V writer on the host not to invoke a shadow copy inside the running guest. This basically makes a crash consistent backup versus an application consistent backup.  Since that worked that tells us that the problem is inside the guest where it's having problems with creating a vss snapshot.  Look for vss errors in the guest application event log or volsnap errors in the guest system event log.  It may be a vss writer problem. Look for Windows 2003 updates for VSS.

For Windows 2003 guests, please ensure the following three fixes are installed.

KB934016 - Availability of Windows Server 2003 Post-Service Pack 2 COM+ 1.5 Hotfix Rollup Package 12
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;934016

KB965230  FIX: The COM+ Event System does not deliver timely or reliable statistics to subscribers of the IComTrackingInfoEvents event interface in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;965230

kb968447  The COM+ Event System stops processing the query for matching subscriptions when it detects a corrupted subscription on a Windows Server 2003-based computer 
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;968447

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

Your help (as always) is much appreciated. I shall work through your suggestions.

Andy.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 7:31 AM