none
My 4 year old software MasterWriter suddenly stops running RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Using Dell PC and Laptop, both XP Home Editions SP 3, P4, RAM 1.99. All works fine on both computers. 

I’ve been using MasterWriter 1.0 since 4 years without ever a problem but suddenly in past 3 or so weeks when last I opened it, it refuses to open on both computers. The last time I used the software was circa end of July.

I tried many different things like uninstalling McAfee Total Protection even though in the Quarantine it has no traces of blocking the software that I was able to use for 4 years unscathed, then reinstalled MW and still it refuses to run. All the while in constant contact with the vendor who is equally baffled by it all. Then this past week I tried Auslogics registry cleaner/restore center/restore point where on the laptop I was allowed a generous system restore to July 31st. On the laptop I have nothing on there except loading files from PC much like a backup. My PC because it is the workhorse only allowed Sept 27th futile for the time line of this problem.

After the laptop system restore I was able to re-install MasterWriter and it runs beautifully. But my PC where I cannot do a system restore beyond Sept 27<sup>th</sup> it continues to refuse to run.

The only constants on both computers are MS Windows Updates (Express) and McAfee Total Protection updates. The culprit of the glitch appears to be an alleged KB download. Now that I have it running on laptop every time I do an MS update I write down the KB and then open the MasterWriter 1.0 to verify its status, it is the only way to pin down the alleged KB culprit. It cannot be anything else as on the laptop I have nada software except preloaded Dell stuff - same as PC when I bought these in 06-07, but the PC is where I load all the software and use it like a workhorse, I do everything. Now that I've rolled back the system 2 months to July 31st on laptop I will be able to see when the MasterWriter will stop working again like it's twin on the PC. The event happened inside Aug – 1<sup>st</sup> Half of Sept. This event will allow me to pin down the KB if that is the culpirt. Then I will be able to go to the PC and remove that KB if that is the culprit and suddenly the MasterWriter on PC will work again. My contention is that this could be related to some XP Home Edition KB Express download most notably SP 3. If anyone has the pinned down KB let me know.

Thank you.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:06 PM

All replies

• Try the System Repair forum under the Windows XP category. This forum is for help in writing software.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:38 PM