none
Sorage Spaces Disk Removal Stalled

Question

• I have a storage spaces pool from which I am trying to remove a disk. The physical drive shows as "Preparing for removal" and the used percentage is 7.40% - but it has been stuck on 7.40% for a few days.

How can I fix this?

Saturday, January 12, 2019 11:55 AM

All replies

• The article Remove physical disk from storage pool with PowerShell has this procedure using PowerShell.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, January 14, 2019 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 14, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Not really, but the output of Get-StorageJob shows this

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-StorageJob

Name                       IsBackgroundTask ElapsedTime JobState PercentComplete BytesProcessed BytesTotal
    ----                       ---------------- ----------- -------- --------------- -------------- ----------
    Storage space-Repair       True             4.04:25:38  Running  12                     12.5 GB   101.5 GB
    Storage space-Regeneration True             4.03:30:15  Running  12                     12.5 GB   101.5 GB

So, I guess it's doing something?

Monday, January 14, 2019 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

As Sengupta mentioned, please try to run the commands below and post it to us.

------------------------

Get-storagepool

Get-physicaldisk

get-virtualdisk

And to remove a disk from storage, we should add a new disk and mark the disk, which we need remove, as retired.

Command to mark disk as retired:  Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "XXXX" -Usage Retired

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:05 AM
  • PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-storagepool

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly     Size AllocatedSize
    ------------ ----------------- ------------ ------------ ----------     ---- -------------
    Storage pool Degraded          Warning      False        False      14.55 TB       4.16 TB
    Primordial   OK                Healthy      True         False      17.57 TB      14.55 TB

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-physicaldisk

FriendlyName                            SerialNumber         MediaType   CanPool OperationalStatus HealthStatus Usage
    ------------                            ------------         ---------   ------- ----------------- ------------ -----
    Generic- SD/MMC/MS PRO                                       Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto...
    WD My Book 25EE USB Device              VK0TZLTY             HDD         False   OK                Healthy      Auto...
    WDC WD30EZRZ-60Z5HB0                    WD-WCC4N2VET0Z6      HDD         False   OK                Healthy      Auto...
    SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000H1              0025_38B4_71B4_D41C. SSD         False   OK                Healthy      Auto...
    Seagate Expansion Desk USB Device       NA4JYLYD             Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Retired
    Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device NA4M5KCN             Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Auto...

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-virtualdisk

FriendlyName  ResiliencySettingName FaultDomainRedundancy OperationalStatus HealthStatus  Size FootprintOnPool StorageE
                                                                                                                   fficienc
                                                                                                                          y
    ------------  --------------------- --------------------- ----------------- ------------  ---- --------------- --------
    Storage space Simple                0                     OK                Healthy      32 TB         4.16 TB  770.06%

Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

From the result, we could try to remove the disk, which shows retired.

--------------------

Seagate Expansion Desk USB Device       NA4JYLYD             Unspecified False   OK                Healthy      Retired

And for the storagejob stuck issue, I think we need to wait for it completed. If we force to remove it, it may cost data lost.

Once again for process of remove disk, we should mark disk as retired and then remove it. If we force to remove disk and it will try to repair and regeneration pool, and we need wait it completed, or will cause data lost.

Best Regards,

William

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 8:18 AM
  • As per my post on Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:44 AM, the disk I want to remove is already marked as retired;

The Storage Spaces GUI is still showing "(i) Preparing for removal"

Am I now able to simply disconnect it from the PC?

Friday, January 25, 2019 9:48 AM
  • As per my post on Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:44 AM, the disk I want to remove is already marked as retired;

The Storage Spaces GUI is still showing "(i) Preparing for removal"

Am I now able to simply disconnect it from the PC?

Hi,

I will suggest you run command Get-storagejob again.

If the job finished, we can disconnect the disk safely.

Best Regards,

William

Friday, January 25, 2019 10:06 AM