none
Sorage Spaces Disk Removal Stalled

Question

• I have a storage spaces pool from which I am trying to remove a disk. The physical drive shows as "Preparing for removal" and the used percentage is 7.40% - but it has been stuck on 7.40% for a few days.

How can I fix this?

Saturday, January 12, 2019 11:55 AM

All replies

• The article Remove physical disk from storage pool with PowerShell has this procedure using PowerShell.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, January 14, 2019 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 14, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Not really, but the output of Get-StorageJob shows this

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-StorageJob

Name                       IsBackgroundTask ElapsedTime JobState PercentComplete BytesProcessed BytesTotal
    ----                       ---------------- ----------- -------- --------------- -------------- ----------
    Storage space-Repair       True             4.04:25:38  Running  12                     12.5 GB   101.5 GB
    Storage space-Regeneration True             4.03:30:15  Running  12                     12.5 GB   101.5 GB

So, I guess it's doing something?

Monday, January 14, 2019 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

As Sengupta mentioned, please try to run the commands below and post it to us.

------------------------

Get-storagepool

Get-physicaldisk

get-virtualdisk

And to remove a disk from storage, we should add a new disk and mark the disk, which we need remove, as retired.

Command to mark disk as retired:  Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName "XXXX" -Usage Retired

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:05 AM