need your advice. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Here are my specs for our Windows 2008 R2 domain controller. (for 1700 users)

Two disks with RAID1 (our dit size is about 250 MB)

16 GB RAM

Do I need to create two partition (one: OS and another: dit, sysvol and log)? or just one partition?

Thank you.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Answers

• While you could place the database, log files, and sysvol on a dedicated drive, not many people do this.  The guidance is to allow 400MB of drive space for every 1000 users in your organization for the AD database, at least 500MB for logs, and at least 500MB for sysvol.  Depending on your environment sysvol can be larger than this however.

You will probably be fine with one partition especially if the machine is dedicated for AD, just keep an eye on disk utilization and deploy at least two domain controllers for redundancy.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14355.capacity-planning-for-active-directory-domain-services.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cicely Feng Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:47 PM
  • We run 30k users our DC's with one partition with no issues.  That said, if you want to maximize performance, you can move the log to a separate partition (this is in the AD setup) but we have never needed it.  Also, since they will still be on the same disk, and not separate spindles, you lose any real benefit.  IMO, 1700 users, 1 partition is fine.  DITO with Frick, be sure you have at LEAST 2 dedicated DC's.

BlankMonkey

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Hi all,

16 GB RAM

Do I need to create two partition (one: OS and another: dit, sysvol and log)? or just one partition?

Thank you.

I would create separate partition one will be used for OS/Sysvol/AD Database & other for keeping logs, just for the separation. Though, there is no hard code rule. I believe the hardware is over configuration just for the 1700 users.

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:57 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:35 AM

All replies

• While you could place the database, log files, and sysvol on a dedicated drive, not many people do this.  The guidance is to allow 400MB of drive space for every 1000 users in your organization for the AD database, at least 500MB for logs, and at least 500MB for sysvol.  Depending on your environment sysvol can be larger than this however.

You will probably be fine with one partition especially if the machine is dedicated for AD, just keep an eye on disk utilization and deploy at least two domain controllers for redundancy.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14355.capacity-planning-for-active-directory-domain-services.aspx

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:47 PM
  • We run 30k users our DC's with one partition with no issues.  That said, if you want to maximize performance, you can move the log to a separate partition (this is in the AD setup) but we have never needed it.  Also, since they will still be on the same disk, and not separate spindles, you lose any real benefit.  IMO, 1700 users, 1 partition is fine.  DITO with Frick, be sure you have at LEAST 2 dedicated DC's.

BlankMonkey

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:10 AM
  • You might say placing the Active Directory files and folders on a separate volume isn't obligatory and you are right BUT
    You should avoid placing dynamic data on your boot partition. The Shared System Volume (SYSVOL) folder is a good example of dynamic data.
    Placing Sysvol on its own NTFS partition minimizes disk I/O, thereby reducing the chances of receiving journal wrap errors.
    Active Directory uses ESE too, like Microsoft Exchange databases, it isn't very illogical to treat these databases and log files the same.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:26 AM
  • Hi all,

16 GB RAM

Thank you.

I would create separate partition one will be used for OS/Sysvol/AD Database & other for keeping logs, just for the separation. Though, there is no hard code rule. I believe the hardware is over configuration just for the 1700 users.

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Meinolf Weber Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:57 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:35 AM