How to prevent Steady State from logging my Admin account off? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed steady state and everything seems ok except for one major thing. I have XP Home Edition, and have set steady state to schedule daily update at 3:00 A.M. I also have some users accounts set to auto log off if left idle for more than 25 min. But for some reason my admin account will log off on its own, and I have not made any adjustments to it at all. In fact, there are not place in state to make adjustments to my admin account in the first place, my admin account do show in steady state. Is that normal? By the way, what is the "Support_faddfa904" account for which I dont have a password to? That was the first account to show in steady state.

Thank you
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:55 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Captain Redd, based on the symptom, this issue can be caused by system factors instead of Windows SteadyState. You can disable all restrictions in SteadyState and then temporarily remove it to check the result. To answer your questions:

1.       Account with administrator privilege can be shown in Windows SteadyState if you log on the computer and open SteadyState by using another account with administrator privilege. However, "Administrator" does not show in SteadyState.

2.       "Support_faddfa904" -  this is a venders account for the Help and Support Service. The account is disabled by default.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, February 16, 2009 3:18 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:37 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Captain Redd, based on the symptom, this issue can be caused by system factors instead of Windows SteadyState. You can disable all restrictions in SteadyState and then temporarily remove it to check the result. To answer your questions:

1.       Account with administrator privilege can be shown in Windows SteadyState if you log on the computer and open SteadyState by using another account with administrator privilege. However, "Administrator" does not show in SteadyState.

2.       "Support_faddfa904" -  this is a venders account for the Help and Support Service. The account is disabled by default.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, February 16, 2009 3:18 AM
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:37 AM
  • Sean Zhu - said:

Thank you for replying to my problem. Here is what I did and what has happened in relation to your answer.

(I formatted my HD and reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition and completely updated it to SP3 and all other optional updates relating to  my pc,.and installed all of the apps to be used with it including my antivirus and anti-spyware apps. I defragmented my OS drive and my DATA drive. All of this after creating "MY ADMIN" account at first of course. Everything worked fine, no log offs. [I followed your advice above and averything worked fine, no log offs, reinstalled steady state, logg offs started again] Problem seem to be steady state.}

{I used "MY ADMIN" account, my administrator account that I created when I first installed Windows XP, to install steadt state. But "MY ADMIN" do not show in steadt state. However, the limited user accounts/profiles do show. Seems like what you are saying is that since accounts with administrator privilage can be shown in Windows SteadtState then "MY ADMIN" can be shown in Windows SteadyState since it is an Adminidtrator account with administrator privilages, but it doesnt show.}

{I downloaded this app from Microsoft web site. What do you mean by "venders account"? Why is it disabled by default and how do I enable it. What else should I know about it?  I truelly thank you for help in this matter. I know my questions are long but I am new to this and need to be educated.)

Thank
    You

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:02 PM
  •  

Thanks for the update.

"MY ADMIN" does not show in Windows SteadyState User Settings if you log on as "MY ADMIN". You can try to log on the computer by using "Administrator" and check if "MY ADMIN" is listed. You can also check if there is any restrictions under "MY ADMIN" by using "Administrator" account. If this is the case, please disable those restrictions and check the result.

Regarding "Support_faddfa904", you do not need to worry about it. This is a normal situation if it is listed in Windows SteadyState.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, February 13, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Sean Zhu - said:

Thanks for the update.

"MY ADMIN" does not show in Windows SteadyState User Settings if you log on as "MY ADMIN". You can try to log on the computer by using "Administrator" and check if "MY ADMIN" is listed. You can also check if there is any restrictions under "MY ADMIN" by using "Administrator" account. If this is the case, please disable those restrictions and check the result.

Thanks again. But after using WSS for the last couple of days I believe that I may have downloaded a semi-corrupt copy of the file. Or it has become corrupt after uninstalling and reinstalling several times to determine if these problems was from my system or WSS. By the way, my system works great with WSS uninstalled. At this moment WSS will not let "Administrator" show on the screen at all, even if I control alt + del, no matter what I have selected in "Set Computer Restrictions". Therefore, I am going to nuke the system and start from scratch with a new downloaded file (WSS) from Microsoft, just in case something in my system may be an unknown cause.

Regarding "Support_faddfa904", you do not need to worry about it. This is a normal situation if it is listed in Windows SteadyState.

At what point do I get the password or access to that profile on "my" own pc???

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Sunday, February 15, 2009 11:15 PM
  •  

If you have any concern on this account for potential security related issue, you can disable the account in Start – Run – control userpasswords2 – Advanced – Advanced user management – Users. Right click the account choose "Properties" and check "the account is disabled".

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:51 AM