none
Filling a column with a constant from the excel workbook error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a getValue formula which will return the value of named cells in the workbook. I want to take that value and populate a new column with it. When I set up  the new column I do this and it shows not error in syntax.

But instead of the value of the function, I am getting an error that Excel could not find a table names the function result.

Shouldn't it be that simple?

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:56 PM

Answers

• No Need, this is solved.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Just inserting dNPI which was an invoked function worked.

Using getValue("cellname") works also. Need to put parenthesis on the name searching for.

I was not wanting to pass the existing column data into the function which is the other alternative you mention with the [] enclosure.

So now I appended two queries reading the same file. One gets the header info, the other the table with the header info inserted into columns- Facility and Process Date which is not in the tabular row data in the report.

Thank you very much.

• Marked as answer by geraldartman Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:10 PM

All replies

• So if your "getValue" is a function, it would normally take one or more parameters in order to return a / some values.

1) Has this been done already in a different query (with the name: dNPI)? Or:

2) Is this column about to call/execute that function and pass a parameter (value from the column named dNPI) to the function?

if 1) you retrieve the value(s) of another query by just writing the name. So just enter dNPI into the Custom column formula

if 2) in order to pass a column's content to a function you have to wrap it into [ ], so your formula would be: getValue([dNPI])

Imke Feldmann TheBIccountant.com

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 8:34 PM
  • It takes one value, the name of the cell. If I invoke it, it returns the value expected.

The column name is NPI

I did have a result from testing the function as dNPI using that worked. I wanted to pass a constant not the column's current value.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:24 PM
  • Sorry, no help from me here as I simply don't understand what's going on.

If you could send link to workbook I might get it.

Imke Feldmann TheBIccountant.com

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:44 PM
  • No Need, this is solved.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Just inserting dNPI which was an invoked function worked.

Using getValue("cellname") works also. Need to put parenthesis on the name searching for.

I was not wanting to pass the existing column data into the function which is the other alternative you mention with the [] enclosure.

So now I appended two queries reading the same file. One gets the header info, the other the table with the header info inserted into columns- Facility and Process Date which is not in the tabular row data in the report.

Thank you very much.

• Marked as answer by geraldartman Thursday, March 3, 2016 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:10 PM