Windows Explorer View on Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Like many others, I have had trouble opening a Document Library in Windows Explorer view from the SharePoint server box (Windows Server 2012).

I checked the 'Trusted Sites" first, as indicated by the error message.  Then I added the "Desktop Experience" feature on the server, restarted and ensured that the "WebClient" service was running.

But, I still get the same error message when trying to use Explorer View.  Any ideas?

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:38 AM

All replies

• Try to reboot the server. Once the webclient service is restarted, you need to reboot the server.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:39 AM
  • Server has been rebooted a couple of times.

I am using Internet Explorer 11.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 11:31 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Try to add the sharepoint site in compatibility mode and then try with explorer view.

Try to run in compatibility mode:

1. Press ALT + T when viewing your SharePoint page
    2. Click Compatibility View Settings in the menu that appears
    3. Click Add to add the current SharePoint site to your list of compatibility view pages
    4. Click Close
    5. Open the document library with explorer view.

Regards,

Senthil

• Edited by SenthilSK Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:11 PM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:10 PM
  • Thank you for the rapid response.

I tried adding the site to the Compatibility View list, but no change.

Could this relate to the version of IE, and whether IE is 32- or 64-bit?

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:44 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Some functionality in SharePoint 2013 requires ActiveX controls. This produces limitations on browsers which do not support ActiveX. Currently only 32-bit versions of Internet Explorer support this functionality. All other browsers have the following limitations. (source : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263526(v=office.15).aspx)

Regards,

Senthil

• Proposed as answer by Craig Lussier Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:53 PM
  • I was pretty much coming to the conclusion that the 32-bit IE was the issue (my client is on IE 10 and 11, whereas I use IE 9 on my own machine).

I have also had the same problem on a desktop pc running Windows 8 and IE 10.

However, I made sure that I executed IE from the Program Files(x86) folder, and the outcome is the same. So, no progress for me.

Also, my nice, friendly IE 9 (32-bit) that had been working with Explorer View is now not working! So, I am going around in circles.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:40 AM
  • Make sure that your IE and Office is same build i.e. 32 bit or 64 bit and try to use it 

If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:59 AM