none
Approval Workflow with Escalation question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Got a few questions:

1. Can FIM handle escalation of an approval workflow to another user, if the original request is not approved within a given timeframe by the first approver?

2. When the request is escalated to the second user for approval, what happen to the request in the original approver context? Can the original approver still approve the request if its already been escalated? Or do these options actually vanish from the original approver's FIM Portal & Exchange Inbox?

Thx,

SK

Monday, June 23, 2014 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Shim,

FIM out of the box does not provide approval workflow scenario. So your second question is not covered with FIM's functionality.

Obviously you can achieve escalation approval scenario with own workflows. Then you can choose if you would or would not allow "original approver" to or not to approve the request once it has been escalated.

So... you can realize such scenario, but you have to deploy own logic for it.

If you found my post helpful, please give it a Helpful vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an Answer.

• Proposed as answer by FIMService Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:32 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Shim,

This can be achieved by creating a custom workflow activity in which if approval is not completed within a timeframe it is escalated.

Also, whenever the escalation takes place, the 1st level approver is also present in the list of approvers along with addition of escalated approver. Hence, all the approvers have authority to approve the request.

Thanks, Manuj Khurana

• Proposed as answer by Manuj Khurana Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Manuj Khurana Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Hi, a little bit confused - what are these defaults in FIM then? they look like approval workflows, with escalation options:
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Ahh, right - my misunderstanding. I understood that you want second level of approval.

In this approval if the first approver has approved the request, then the request is effectively closed at that point. The escalation can only work if the original request is still open - i.e. hasn't been approved. Effectively, both - approver and escalated approver can accept/reject the request.

If you found my post helpful, please give it a Helpful vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an Answer.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:15 AM
  • Shim,

These are FIM Default Approval Workflows, in which you have to explicitly mention approver for particular request. In this workflow, if you have two level of approvers then after the threshold validity is achieved, then the escalated approver is added to the list of approver and both the approvers can approve the request thereafter.

Thanks, Manuj Khurana

• Proposed as answer by Manuj Khurana Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:08 PM