Program now only runs with "Run as Administrator" RRS feed

• Question

• A client just called.  A .NET program that I wrote, and they have been using for a while, decided for whatever reason to not run when they click on the shortcut link.  I connected to the machine and confirmed that.  I get the busy cursor for a moment, and then nothing.  OS doesn't really seem to be trying to execute the program.  Nor do I get any messages.  I also tried executing the application by double-clicking on the executable itself.  Same results.

But I also discovered that if the right-click on either the link or the executable, and select "Run as Administrator", the application runs.  Never had to run the application as Administrator before.

The computer is running Vista Home Premium with SP 1.  64-bit.  Last updates were installed on July 11th.

Does anyone have any idea of what happened?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:17 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you turn on the UAC feature? If so, it is the normal behavior.

If you would like to not prompt the administrator account, you may temporarily disable the UAC:

Turn User Account Control on or off

More information:

User Account Control Step-by-Step Guide

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Monday, July 23, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. 

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:00 AM
  • Sabrina,

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't heard back from the client yet, but I don't believe that is the issue. 

After posting my original message, I did stumble upon that, if the program didn't call one DLL, the program did worked.  I also noticed that Windows Updates last applied updates on July 11th.  I'm thinking that the machine may not have been rebooted between then and when the problem showed up.  And that an update got installed that is causing the problem.

But, as I said, I haven't heard from the client to double check the event logs to see if my reboot hunch is right.

Richard

Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update from your client about this issue?

Regards,

Sabrina

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Friday, August 3, 2012 2:06 AM