a minor question from the step by step guide 802.1x RRS feed

• Question

• I am reading and trying out the

Step By Step Guide: Demonstrate 802.1X NAP Enforcement in a Test Lab

one of the steps is raising domain functional to 2003, but the guide did not explain the reason

I've done some searching but no luck

is it the basic requirement for a domain to run NAP??

thank you very much

btw, does Cisco catalyst 2950 supports this lab? It doesn't show in the switches lists.

Thank you.

Regards

Andrew Chan

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:48 AM

Answers

•  

The reason you need to raise the funtionality level is to support the NAP GPO settings.  As for the Catalyst 2950, it does support 802.1x but you may have problems giving your VLANs full network support.  It is a layer 2 only switch and it only supports one interface IP.

However, for testing and demo purposes, you can prove that it will accept VLAN tags and move clients as they transition from non-compliant to compliant.

Thanks,

Clay

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:30 PM

All replies

•  

The reason you need to raise the funtionality level is to support the NAP GPO settings.  As for the Catalyst 2950, it does support 802.1x but you may have problems giving your VLANs full network support.  It is a layer 2 only switch and it only supports one interface IP.

However, for testing and demo purposes, you can prove that it will accept VLAN tags and move clients as they transition from non-compliant to compliant.

Thanks,

Clay

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Hey Shawn, just to be clear - NAP does not require a domain - it works just fine in a "workgroup".

{Jeff Sigman}{Senior Program Manager & NAP Hero}{Enterprise Security Group}

{NAP Blog, FAQ, Forum, MSDN, Site and my bloÿg}

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Thank you so much

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:35 AM