Edge Server Troubleshooting RRS feed

• Question

• I have Skype for Business Server 2015 and am having issues with external connections.  Specifically, I cannot video conference or connect a Skype for Business audio call.  It rings to the external user but after it is answered it just hangs up with an error "Call failed due to network issues". 

Instant messaging works fine internal/external without an issue.  If I try to make video/audio calls outside of the office with other external participants it works fine.  It's only when in the office and someone is trying to call in or out is when the issue is present.  I don't see anything being blocked on the firewall.  What other troubleshooting steps can I take to verify the Edge server is configured correctly before I dive deeper into the firewall being the culprit?

Thanks,

Doug 

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:26 PM

Answers

• the problem between the inside users and internal edge edge interface as you said that external<>external is working good.

you need to make static route from edge to internal users through internal interface example

"route -p add 10.11.x.x mask 255.255.0.0 10.0.0.<gateway of inside>"

also you need to be sure that needed firewall ports between internal users and internal edge is opened as below uri

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425891(v=ocs.15).aspx

• Edited by HamedAdel Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by HamedAdel Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Friday, April 8, 2016 12:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you published the AV interface of the edge server to the internet and allowed TCP 443 inbound, UDP 3478 In and Out and TCP/UDP 50000-59999 in and out too?

Also if the edge server is behind a NAT firewall you also need to publish the public IP in the topology too.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:38 PM
  • We recently changed the internal vlan address for our users.  It used to be a 10.0.0.x network which is also the same subnet as the Skype for Business Servers.  Now just the users are on the new 10.11.x.x network but the servers remain on 10.0.0.x.  I assigned a workstation the 10.0.0.x address and everything works fine.  Is there anything on the Edge or FE server that I need to configure to tell it to talk to the 10.11.x.x network?  Otherwise I assume the Edge and FE server are configured correctly and it is a routing issue on the network.

Remote connectivity analyzer shows all green.

Thanks,

Doug

• Edited by Doug125 Tuesday, March 15, 2016 9:55 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 7:57 PM
  • the problem between the inside users and internal edge edge interface as you said that external<>external is working good.

you need to make static route from edge to internal users through internal interface example

"route -p add 10.11.x.x mask 255.255.0.0 10.0.0.<gateway of inside>"

also you need to be sure that needed firewall ports between internal users and internal edge is opened as below uri

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425891(v=ocs.15).aspx

• Edited by HamedAdel Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:58 AM
    • Proposed as answer by HamedAdel Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Friday, April 8, 2016 12:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:58 AM