none
Errors on certain workstations RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Project Server 2010. We have a Master file with about 15 subprojects.

Some users experience problems opening the Master file. They get errors such as:

• The project is no longer checked out to you or you do not have permissions for this project.
    • On closing the Master file, it requires the user to discard changes for many of the subprojects even though the file was closed with "no to all"
    • On opening the Master file, 'show all subprojects" does not expand all the projects.

It is possible that we need to apply hotfixes or patches to these workstations in order to solve these problems. The reason is that we have many other workstations that do not experience these problems.

Is there a list of patches/fixes/hotfixes that need to be applied for Project Server 2010?

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If you are only seeing this issue on certain workstations and they are all patched to the same level, I wonder if the issues you are seeing are more to do with many people accessing the one master project and associated check in / outs? I would also look to see if there is anything different in the workstations that are erroring configuration and setup.

As for Project Server 2010, Microsoft release cumulative updates every two months that address a number of issues and have done so since Project Server 2010 was initially released.  Most organisations apply these patches in a N-1 pattern, that is applying the last released patch into their environment to ensure the latest improvement and bug fixes are applied. In the case of Project Server 2010 a number of enhancements were released in Service Pack 1 last year that should also be be considered and may provide business value to your organisation. 

Please note, if you are patching your server environment, also remember that it is necessary to keep your Project Pro clients in lockstep. 

Further info on patching can be found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/projectserver/gg176680.aspx

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply. Your opening sentence is important: "If you are only seeing this issue on certain workstations and they are all patched to the same level".

The answer is that the workstations are not patched to the same level. Even though they are all run MS Project 2010, they do not have the same version number.

The very informative link that you refer to seems to be Project Server patches.

Two related questions please

• What is the ideal version number that MS Project 2010 should be on and what patches should we apply to get there?
    • If I apply the June 2012 Project Server patch (KB 2598355), is it cumulative and I won't have to apply any other patches?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:14 AM
  • I found out the answer.

The June cumulative update was the last update released for Project 2010. You can read more about it and get the links to download it here - http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2012/06/29/microsoft-project-server-and-sharepoint-server-2007-and-2010-june-2012-cu-announcement.aspx

• Marked as answer by HFprojects Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:59 AM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:59 AM