Networking Windows 7 and Virtual PC XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have windows 7 on 64 bit system  and enabled the virtual pc and have xp on it.

In windows xp mode i have enable 4 networking options - lan , wireless , internal and NAT. I have a dynamic assigned ip on both the XP and Windows 7 system.

But i am unable to ping the XP from Windows 7 or other way around.

Can someone suggest the right way to configure this. I am trying to have the windows 7 as server and access it from client tools in the virtual pc.

Thanks

bob

Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:21 AM

Answers

• Choose LAN if that is the connection you are using. Choose wireless is that is the network connection you are using. Ping in both directions and let us know.

Another option is to install a Microsoft Loopback Adapter if you want to keep the client and the server isolated from your LAN. You could bind the vm to the loopback adapter and keep network traffic isolated between the physical machine and the virtual machine.

• Proposed as answer by John Paul Cook Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:33 AM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:35 AM

All replies

• Choose LAN if that is the connection you are using. Choose wireless is that is the network connection you are using. Ping in both directions and let us know.

Another option is to install a Microsoft Loopback Adapter if you want to keep the client and the server isolated from your LAN. You could bind the vm to the loopback adapter and keep network traffic isolated between the physical machine and the virtual machine.

• Proposed as answer by John Paul Cook Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:33 AM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for that instant reply! ..you were right , the loopback adapter was not set / available.

What i was missing here was the loopback adapter and when i created one in the windows 7 host system and set a static ip for it as well as the one in windows xp virtual pc it worked fine.

I also had to add a particular port on the windows firewall in the host system for IIS to be accessed from the virtual PC.

Regards

Bob

Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:08 AM
  • Which port did you need to open? 80?
    Monday, April 5, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Hi Bob,

While finding a solution for my problem about networking between a Win 7 pc and Win XP virtual pc,I found this topic.Now,I have found a solution.It is very easy to do.Now:

Step 1:You must install an Loop Back Adapter on your Win 7 pc.You can find here

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/how-to-install-a-loopback-adapter-in-windows-7/

Step 2:After installing this adapter,you return your settings for your virtual pc,click Network Adapter,choose Microsoft Loopback Adapter.Start it.

Step 3:You configure your static IP address in Win 7 pc and your virtual pc.So this is an example:

Loopback Adapter on Win 7

Adapter on virtual Pc

192.168.1.1(Enter Default Gateway or not)

Step 4:Turn Window Firewall off on both two pc.Ok,now you can ping good^^

I have used to share programs on both pc.it is very well.Hope you can do it.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Hey John,

I have a similar problem to virtualPCBob, and I'm trying to implement the solution listed above.  Can you tell me how to install the Microsoft loopback adapter?  I went to the interface for adding network clients, services, protocals, but didn't see it there.  Is this something I have to download from MS?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Oh dear...

I looked under Add/Remove hardware in my XM VM running under Windows Virtual PC and there was no option for the Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

This is getting murky...

Friday, July 9, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Nevermind... found it.  Thanks!
    Friday, July 9, 2010 6:47 PM
  • OK.  I installed the loopback adapters on both the win7 machine and the xp vm and configured them Tuong described above - and no luck.  My win7 machine's primary network adapter is dynamic ip.  Does that have anything to do with it?
    Friday, July 9, 2010 7:11 PM