Two branches with servers and seperate need merging and file share replication - help? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new, this is my first post here and hope I have put this question in the correct forum but I have a problem outlined as below.

I am providing support for an estate agent that have just taken on another branch after buying out another running company. As such they now have the two sites each with a server on-site running Server 2008 R2. The servers are both on completely separate domains and running independently.

I have been asked by the company to provide a way to link the sites together to be able to share services. In particular there is a file share in the main office that they want accessible in the new office. I have set this up for them for now by simply linking the sites with a VPN and mapping shares on the clients in the new site to the remote server, however this is too slow and will not work as a long term solution.

Is there a way I can set up some kind of replication for the file share between the servers? I have been googling and believe DFS may be the solution but can't seem to find a way to get this to work with them being separate domains...

Do I need to change the domains to be the same and have the two servers as domain controllers for the same domain in each branch?

Thanks,

Lee

Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you want to use DFS-R to replicate the data from a server from one site to another; both servers need to belong to the same forest. So it means you will need to migrate the data at one point.

"Must members of a replication group reside in the same domain?
    No. Replication groups can span across domains within a single forest but not across different forests." http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773238(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_000

Now you can make it work but it might require to much of an implementation overhead. And it depends what is your plan with the other domain. Are you planning to migrate users and data?

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 4:05 PM
  • The original domain, lets say mainestateagent.local at the original site is the one that they want keeping in tact, with just having some data replicated to the new one.

The new site, let's say domain oldestateagent.local, the only useful thing on that domain is the user accounts (which would be simple enough to recreate as there are only 4 members of staff in this branch so far). The user accounts are all roaming profiles too so it would be simple enough for me to back up the profiles and restore them if needed to a new domain. This domain is also named to the old company too so I was thinking it is maybe better to start again with this server with a domain name more suited to the company (unless there is a simple way to rename the domain?)

The problem is that my experience with servers up to now has only been in small environments with a single server in an office with just a few users. I have never before used servers in a multi-site environment and am really struggling to figure out the best way to implement this. 

I hope this helps give you a clearer view of what I am trying to achieve!

Saturday, September 20, 2014 4:19 PM
  • Well in this case, it might be interesting to look at hosted storage solution, way easier to maintain.

Microsoft has OneDrive for Business. There are other offerings present in the market. Microsoft also have a more comprehensive offering than storage only with Office 365.

Now it is still possible to address that with on premise solution. But in your case it will mean either to migrate the user to a new domain or to add servers in both site (and might be costly).

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 8:20 PM
  • It just seems a shame that they have decent servers in both sites already that would be going to waste.

I have no problem with starting again with the new domain, as I say, it's simple enough to backup and just re-create the users that are needed for now. Would it be a problem trying to set up a multi-site domain with just the one server in each site? Or is this possible at all?

Apologies if I seem like a massive noob, but as I say I've only ever had experience with single site domains set up using the nice set up wizards, haven't really gone too much deeper into windows server as it's never been required by any of my clients!

Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

If i understand you correctly, you have two domains in different site and want to replication file shared between two domains? Are these domain in different forest?

Here is a similar thread about Replication via VPN between two servers/domains

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a32357d1-e0b9-4f13-8d31-1bc78a25f2cc/replication-via-vpn-between-two-serversdomains?forum=winserverfiles

Regards.

Vivian Wang

• Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Friday, September 26, 2014 6:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:48 AM
  • Because there are in different forest you can't make them replicate.

But you can add a server from the other forest on both sites (you might also consider to add a DC of each domain in each site) and have a bi-directional trust. Then you will have the following config:

Site 1:

• 1 DC of the domain MyDomain.com
    • 1 DC of the domain MyOtherDomain.com
    • 1 filer with a share MyShare belonging to the domain MyDomain.com
    • 1 filer with a share MyOtherShare belonging to the domain MyOtherDomain.com

Site 2:

• 1 DC of the domain MyDomain.com
    • 1 DC of the domain MyOtherDomain.com
    • 1 filer with a share MyShare belonging to the domain MyDomain.com replicating with the server of Site 1
    • 1 filer with a share MyOtherShare belonging to the domain MyOtherDomain.com of Site 1

And you can create a DFS-N Namespace that like \\mydomain.com\RealEstateData and have two shared folders like Share and OtherShare.

Make sure sites' definitions are alike on both forest and you'll have:

There is always a technical way to achieve that, but it isn't that easy.

forest aspect of your DFS namespace (it makes it easier to configure). You can create a trust and use ADMT to move users, servers and workstations to one domain to another. Everything is explained here: Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) Guide: Migrating and Restructuring Active Directory Domains http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19188. But it is an entire different topic then :)

Again, a cloud based solution might be cheaper and avoid an quite consequent administrative overhead.

• Marked as answer by Vivian_Wang Friday, September 26, 2014 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 1:47 PM