none
w7 and 0f2010 deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to get some suggestions/real life examples for deployment/migration of/to Windows7 and Office 2010.

Currently 1500 XP\Office2003 computers. This park supported by WDS.

April 2014 coming and the question (that I mentioned a year ago :)) starts to become hot.

My MDT2012 is up and ready for basic deployment. I captured couple of target laptops and pc models.

The images contain required apps and with forum help there is no problem for Office post install. I even can include Office in the image for saving time.

As I see it now, the simple way is to prepare 50 computers in the shop and replace 50 in production and so on...

Let say group of technicians will be assigned to this task.

Also, the network is 100Mb and in the shop a deployment will be on 1Gb.

Do you see it as OK plan or could be something more efficient? Configuration Manager is under discussion and I am playing with it.

Other ideas for the described scenario?

Thanks.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:03 PM

Answers

• I always put Office in the image because I'm in an environment where speed is considered an asset; basically, the Powers That Be do not want to wait for Office to be installed at the time of deployment.

We are in the same boat as you but with many more machines - ~20,000 fleet, with about ~5,000 still on XP. We use a combination of ConfigMgr 2012, MDT, and MDT Media (USB-based) to refresh machines to Windows 7 which, as I mentioned, already includes Office. (2010 for our Win 7 devices; 2013 for Win 8.) Field Office use "Refresh" and "Bare Metal" OSD via CM2012, the "imaging factory" group uses MDT LiteTouch via PXE, and our field technicians use the MDT Media.

If you have an "imaging factory," and it sounds like you do since you are doing machine replacements, and you're only doing 50 at a time, MDT will work just fine (albeit somewhat dependent on your infrastructure.) All of the things you are exploring - MDT, ConfigMgr - can absolutely be used for your scenario.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:31 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:34 PM

All replies

• I always put Office in the image because I'm in an environment where speed is considered an asset; basically, the Powers That Be do not want to wait for Office to be installed at the time of deployment.

We are in the same boat as you but with many more machines - ~20,000 fleet, with about ~5,000 still on XP. We use a combination of ConfigMgr 2012, MDT, and MDT Media (USB-based) to refresh machines to Windows 7 which, as I mentioned, already includes Office. (2010 for our Win 7 devices; 2013 for Win 8.) Field Office use "Refresh" and "Bare Metal" OSD via CM2012, the "imaging factory" group uses MDT LiteTouch via PXE, and our field technicians use the MDT Media.

If you have an "imaging factory," and it sounds like you do since you are doing machine replacements, and you're only doing 50 at a time, MDT will work just fine (albeit somewhat dependent on your infrastructure.) All of the things you are exploring - MDT, ConfigMgr - can absolutely be used for your scenario.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:31 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Very encouraging! So I am on a right track with my thought.

Just have to look into MDT USB Media.

Would it be just silent image install from USB?

Internally I am using PXE of WDS for MDT LiteTouch.

Thanks a lot Nick.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:02 PM
  • You can make the USB Media entirely silent by editing the CustomSettings.ini as appropriate. (And via PXE, for that matter.) In my environment, the imaging group and field technicians only see two Wizard panes, Task Sequence selection and TimeZone. Everything else is silent. If I was down to one TS and didn't need to contend with timezone, I could make it entirely silent.

-Nick O.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:20 PM
  • have to look into the MDT USB Media topic.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:32 PM