none
Windows Easy Transfer Alternatives- Application matching?

Question

• With Microsoft fully deprecating Windows Easy Transfer in Windows 10, we are trying to find a reliable way for our Desk Side technicians to pull a list of the users applications from their Windows 7/8/8.1/10 devices, with their USMT data backup, so that the tech can install applications and visually show the user what was installed on their new machine. 

What methods are being used in Windows 10 for application matching between old machine and new machine?

We explored the option of pulling SCCM client reports, but there's a LOT of garbage and there doesn't seem to be a way to pull the data into a format that can be user-facing. For now, we are using a work around where we load the data using Windows Easy Transfer's option "My machine does not have Windows Easy Installed," but it's not a sustainable method.

We also have tried just screenshotting the Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) window and doing a side my side comparison, but Windows Easy Transfer has made our techs lazy and they like the pretty green checkboxes that it uses to show what applications are installed. Our users also like this because it's Windows 10's way of telling them the tech installed the right version of the right applications.

I'm a little behind on the times so it's possible there's a shiny new tool that the Windows 10 ADK has that facilitates this process, but I know that the Windows 8 ADK and the WAIK did not have anything like this, so I am not holding my breath.

Saturday, April 1, 2017 2:27 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

Sorry for that Windows Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10. However Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to bring you PCmover Express—a tool for transferring selected files, folders, and more from your old Windows Pyour new Windows 10 PC. 

Please check if that new tool meet your requirement.

If no, there is no way to achieve your goal unless accept SCCM or USMT's report.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 3, 2017 6:37 AM