Partation deleated?? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, i need help!

I have two hard drives in my machine, a 120GB and a 250GB. They both have two partitions each. Windows XP and Vista are installed on the 120 and I keep my data on the 250.

Before I installed Vista, XP used to read the two partitions on the 250 just fine. After I installed Vista, the 250 is showing up as one drive in both Vista and XP! When I click on the drive it says that the drive is not formatted and asks me to format the drive (I don't want to format).

When I installed Vista, I never even touched the 250 drive, I just formatted one of the two partitions on the 120.

What happened to my two partitions??

Is my data still there and if so, how can I retrieve it?

Please help
    thanks

Friday, September 15, 2006 6:28 AM

All replies

•  

right-click "Computer" --> "manage" : there you will see on the left pane an entry "Diskmanagement"

This shows all your parititions and Disks, their status and if a drive-letter is assigned to them ( in Vista of course ). You can partition,resize,delete,change drive-letters to your needs.

If the disk is not there, then check your BIOS-Settings and have a look in the devicemanager of Vista ( accesible also via "manage computer" ) if there are any marked problems

( if IDE-channels not correctly recognized than HDD/CD can't work as they should ).

In such a case : see if your Mainboard-Manufacturer or Windows Update  has updated drivers.

Good Luck.

SBJ

Friday, September 15, 2006 1:56 PM
  • thanks for the response,

when I go into "Disk management" in Vista I see the drive but it's only showing 31.5 GB RAW "Healthy Primary Partition"

What does RAW mean?

I used to have two 125 GB NTFS partitions before.

Friday, September 15, 2006 5:07 PM
  • Disks that appear as "raw" means they are not formatted / without filesystems / containing none Operating System.

I am sorry to say that but you did definately something wrong if the disk had a filesystem before on it.

Have you played with tools like Partitionmagic or have you installed another OS like Linux  before or after Vista?

To use this Partition in Windows (XP or Vista ) you will have to format it from within the Diskmanagement and give it a Driveletter, then it shows up in Windows as Drive D:\ , E:\ or the like, however you set it to your needs.

SBJ

Friday, September 15, 2006 6:01 PM
  • Hi,

You are right not to format, or do anything to the partition right now.

Somehow your partition tables got corrupted.  I have seen this happen in beta2 of Vista, but you usually had to perform some operation in "Disk Management."  I hope this is not a bug in RC1.

Sometimes partition tables just go bad for unclear reasons...like a bad cable, power surge, disk hardware error, etc.

You can very likely get your data back, but you need file recovery software that can deal with corrupt partition tables.

Acronis Disk Director can sometimes fix bad partition tables.  You can download the trial version, and see if it recognizes the two paritions you had before.

There is also software that can recover files from disks with bad tables.  I have used Quetek's File Scavenger successfully to recover files from a disk the OS couldn't recognize.

Of course, you should run these utilities from XP, not Vista!

Whatever you do, don't format--that will likely make your data unrecoverable.

Good luck

Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:05 PM
  • thanks guys for responding.

daflory,
    file scavenger worked like a charm! saved me a lot of time and energy!!

thanks again
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 4:07 AM