none
MAP tool reporting more devices than we have RRS feed

• Question

• We have been running the MAP toolkit but it is reporting more devices than we have. For example, our custom VBScript which quries AD computer objects lists a total of 786 computers. MAP reports 1658, I don't understand where this is coming from?

Some things are accurate, such as Windows 7, but XP is also reporting more than we have, why is this? Even when only selecting WMI & AD to search

Thank You.

Kris

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:28 PM

All replies

• In the hardware summary report, if you remove all the machines that your script found so that only the “extra” are left, do any of those have any hardware information?

In AD, can you find any of the machines that are in the hardware summary report but not in the list from the custom script?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Well, we started doing a cleanup in AD & now if I only select to scan AD, it is more accurate. I would just like to know why this was happening.

To answer your question, AD & the custom script match, there is nothing missing from the custom script.

Also, can I get a detailed report of Microsoft software installed per machine? Example: If I have a PC with 2 versions of project installed, can I get a list of these machines?

Also, when facing an audit, is the map tool what Microsoft goes by?

Thanks.

Kris

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:16 PM
  • To get the list of applications, see the topic I've pined to the top of the forum called "How to get a list of applications discovered out of MAP".

For the AD question, I'm confused. You say that the script got everything but you are also doing clean up and the AD scan is more accurate as a result. What clean up are you doing? Are the "extra" machines that MAP is discovering listed in AD as disabled as opposed to being deleted entirely?

The tool and method for conducting an audit is up to the auditor and what their policies and procedures dictate. MAP is simply a data gathering and reporting tool, and does not make determinations as to proper licensing itself. Although I've heard of MAP being used in licensing and audit scenarios more and more, to my knowledge there is no "official" tool for licensing. Ultimately it will be up to you and the auditor working together.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Thanks for the great replies Michael, it is greatly appreciated.

To clarify the scanning issue, if I choose to scan everything, AD, WMI, Windows, etc. I get more devices than I have.

If I only choose to scan AD, then it is more accurate, so I am wondering where the other scans, WMI, etc. are getting other devices from?

As far as the audit goes, I do realize it is up to the auditors, but thank you for that info. As far as the audit goes, is it good to do a cleanup before, I have heard it is not because they look at the date the audit was issued?

Thanks for your help.

Kris

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:22 PM
  • The Inventory Scenarios page of the wizard determines what collector technologies will be used, such as WMI, SQL Windows, Active Directory, etc. The Discovery Methods page determines how and where MAP will get the list of host names to inventory. If you choose multiple discovery methods, i.e. AD DS and IP Address, then you will end up inventorying the same machine multiple times. If MAP is able to get enough info from the machine, it will remove any duplicates it finds.

Note: The Active Directory collector is different than AD DS discovery. I would recommend that you keep it simple and only use 1 inventory scenario and 1 discovery method at a time. MAP is additive, so choosing other scenarios later will just add that data to the information already collected.

Regarding the audit, I'm not familiar with their methods and policies.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:40 AM