Blocked Files? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a newbie to Sharepoint and even more to BPOS.  Attempting to put an Access database on the site, but the file is blocked.  I have the admin rights, so allowing a file such as this isn't an issue.  But, where do I activate blocked files from?  Most of the forums and threads address Sharepoint Server and discuss "Central Administration," but there's nothing like this (that I see) for BPOS.

Thanks!
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:32 AM

Answers

• SharePoint Online Standard does indeed block MDB files (Older Access Databases). If you use Access 2007 you will be able to upload those files without issue. Access 2007 integrates with SharePoint Online quite nicely.

SharePoint Online Dedicated does allow for customizing this blocked list. However, Dedicated won't be cost-beneficial unless you have 5,000 or more seats.

Himadrish's instructions for editng the blocked file list will only work for a local installation of SharePoint Server as Central admin is not available via SharePoint Online.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    You are correct -- Access database files are blocked by default in Sharepoint and thus are blocked with Sharepoint Online.  Currently there is no server administration, like Central Admin, in the Sharepoint Online offering.  I imagine this is something you can tweak if you qualified for the BPOS dedicated offering, but that requires 5,000 or more users. 

Thanks,

Jason
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Hi. I am able to upload Access database files in to a document library fine. Where are you uploading your database to?

McGeeky
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Folks:

Below the steps you need to perform on central administration area in SharePoint to block/unblock any file type in SharePoint.
    To do so, you need to have administrative privilege on the WFS so that you can open the SharePoint.

Open Central Administrator à Select ‘Operations’ TAB à Click on ‘Blocked File Type’ under ‘Security Configuration

Now, delete the extension of the file you want to upload. Here you can also put the extension of the file to prevent user to upload at SharePoint.

And at last, you may need to reset IIS :)

Thanks, Himadrish
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:54 AM
  • SharePoint Online Standard does indeed block MDB files (Older Access Databases). If you use Access 2007 you will be able to upload those files without issue. Access 2007 integrates with SharePoint Online quite nicely.

SharePoint Online Dedicated does allow for customizing this blocked list. However, Dedicated won't be cost-beneficial unless you have 5,000 or more seats.

Himadrish's instructions for editng the blocked file list will only work for a local installation of SharePoint Server as Central admin is not available via SharePoint Online.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Is there a list of all extensions and file types that SharePoint Online blocks?

I found this list: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/HA101001471033.aspx

But is this valid for SharePoint Online?  These files cannot be changed for SharePoint Online correct?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:03 PM