none
Migrating Redirected Profiles from DFS to FS

Question

• Management wants to move away from our redirected profiles being physically hosted on our DFS servers. We currently have redirected profiles being hosted on the DFS servers and accessible through the root namespace. Profiles are redirected with a policy. This task is a bit outside my normal scope so I'm feeling uncertain about options and how well permissions will hold up after the move. 

I have two DFS servers: dfs01v and dfs02v
    I have a namespace managed by these servers: \\domain.org\users\
    I have a folder in this namespace: \\domain.org\users\profiles
    With a target of \\dfs01v\Profiles
    And a target of \\dfs02v\Profiles
    That is a share is from a mapped drive g:\ on both dfs01v and dfs02v
    And is local storage on dfs01v and dfs02v.
    I redirect some user profiles in our org using a GPO and policy User > Policies > Windows Settings > Folder Redirection.
    The policy defines the redirected path for each folder as the namespace location \\domain.org\users\profiles\%username%\[profile folder]

My goal is finding a way to replicate data currently on \\dfs01v\profiles to new share on another server \\fs03v\profiles, and leave the namespace alone so I don’t have to mess with the policy or be worried about the policy trying to move stuff around. What is the best method of doing this, while retaining permissions currently on the files? 

My plan was to create a new share \\fs03v\profiles, verify all users offline (no writes), and manually copy data to the new share, then add this share as a target in the namespace folder, remove the other two targets. As far as the GPO is concerned, the target is the same (the namespace). In namespace management, the target would have been changed. From a lay perspective this seems like it should work.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a better practice for this, or a more supported method of syncing existing data to a new target, then moving from the old target. 

I hope this was clear - thanks in advance!!

Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:31 PM

Answers

• > With a target of \\dfs01v\Profiles
    > And a target of \\dfs02v\Profiles

Both targets active? Unsupported... :)

> My plan was to create a new share \\fs03v\profiles, verify all users
    > offline (no writes), and manually copy data to the new share, then add

No need to do so. You can setup a replication group without adding the
    new share to the namespace folder... After initial replication has
    finished, add to the namespace and remove the old targets. Do this off
    business hours, so change amount on old targets will be low and
    replication can catch up latest changes.

> From a lay perspective this seems like it should work.

Yes it will.

• Marked as answer by FCOE_Tech Friday, January 29, 2016 8:06 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 11:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For copying the actual folders and permissions, you can use ROBOCOPY or FSMT.

Robocopy

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(WS.10).aspx

Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2 available as a free download

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2009/06/30/microsoft-file-server-migration-toolkit-1-2-available-as-a-free-download.aspx

After migrating the shares, please temporarily turn off dfs01v and see how it works, if all is good, bring it back online and decommission.

More article for your reference:

Migrating your DFS Namespaces in three (sorta) easy steps

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/01/15/migrating-your-dfs-namespaces-in-three-sorta-easy-steps.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 29, 2016 8:09 AM
  • > With a target of \\dfs01v\Profiles
    > And a target of \\dfs02v\Profiles

Both targets active? Unsupported... :)

> My plan was to create a new share \\fs03v\profiles, verify all users
    > offline (no writes), and manually copy data to the new share, then add

No need to do so. You can setup a replication group without adding the
    new share to the namespace folder... After initial replication has
    finished, add to the namespace and remove the old targets. Do this off
    business hours, so change amount on old targets will be low and
    replication can catch up latest changes.

> From a lay perspective this seems like it should work.

Yes it will.

• Marked as answer by FCOE_Tech Friday, January 29, 2016 8:06 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 11:14 AM
  • This appears to have worked in testing.

I created a new replicated folder for the new target on \\fs03v from the add target dialog in DFS and added this target to the existing replication group. (I did need to enable DFS and a few expected pre-reqs on \\fs03v before I could do this, but the dialog failed with a .)

Once the new target was replicated and sync'd, I removed the other targets. GPO continued to point to the namespace and the endpoints appear to be none the wiser - the replication process retained permissions and there was no more for me to do. Pretty seamless process and now my data is hosted in another location without interruption to the clients! 

(Thanks for note on supported structure - this might explain some of the issues that led to this decision in the first place. I'll review against best practice, thank you!)

Friday, January 29, 2016 9:30 PM