802.11b/g PCI card with chip AR5007G crashes again and again. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm unsure about the card mode, it's something like TPLINK 350G..

The TPLINK website says it doesn't support Vista, so there is no Vista driver to download.

When I got this card, I installed the driver from the TPLINK, the driver is for Windows XP, but it seems it 'works' on Vista. The problem was, each time I disable the card, it crash my system. And it seemed if there was an application try to adjust my network settings, it crashed again and again.

Last month, Windows update updated this driver for me, then I saw the device named changed as something "AR5007G wireless card". I checked the driver, it's from 7.4.2.48 from Atheros. Nothing changed to be better in this update.

This morning, Windws update tipped me there is a optional update with version of 7.4.2.57, I was happy, later it became a disarster.

Windows update crashed during update this driver for me, and failed; later I was able to download this driver from an Atheros website and install manually. It crashed again, but this time, the driver is updated.

When it restarted, the card can't find any network thoug the AP was just meters away. I checked the properties of the card, it said the speed is 2.43Gbps something... a very NICE UPDATE.

Then I tried to rolled back the driver to older version, each time I got a crash, but none of them worked at this time, the older version driver crashed my system when it went up even I carefully removed driver files manually, and also I tried system restore.

I'm using DELL 531s, and Windows Vista SP1. Of all, this card works very well on Windows XP SP2.

So tied I am right now, I really want to take out this card and discard it in recyle bin, but I don't have another card right now.

Could anyone help me out this? Thanks!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Rico,

I would like to suggest that you identify your wireless card's mode at first. Then please contact the manufactor for the Vista compatible driver. Windows update may can find a driver for the card's chipest but it may not work perfectly with the OS. Because the card with the chipest may have some specific technical design which windows update could not identify correctly.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:30 AM