Sharepoint 2007 Cloning - Where to start ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Task:

We have an existing MOSS 2007 Server which uses another Server for its SQL2005. Down the track the location where these are is to be shutdown.

I have a copy of the server and the SQL databases (though i can't be sure if ALL the DBs i have a copy of are needed).

I am creating a clone of this MOSS2007 with its own local SQL 2005 server (on the same machine). The logic being, i get the clone working, then come switchover, fresh copies of the DBs are restored, and the user facing DNS entry is redirected. i.e. oursp2007 say is changed from serverA to serverB, old servers are shutdown. (we have a sharepoint 2010 system but aren't ready to migrate the 2007 just yet)

When i create a fresh VM for the clone, i increased the 2nd drive to allow for onboard SQL. I have installed SQL2005.

Naturally i have to be careful, i need to ensure that the clones reference to items, especially SQL on it are adjusted to be local. For now i have disabled the NIC to ensure it does not pollute things.

So i am after pointers :

- SQL DATA on 2nd drive - OKish - 2005 seems to only support new DBs on 2nd drive. system DBs seem to stay of C: (in sql 2008 it allowed the install to specify the DATA area, but i don't think i got this for 2005)

- SQL restore DBs on 2nd drive - OKish on this except for the issue of wanting to start clean, not restoring old experimentall sql dbs - i.e. pointers on how to determine for sure which DBs MOSS2007 is using (i assume the Time Last Modified is a bit of a give away on the SQL dbs of their use)

- Any SQL script needed to tell the SQL DBs of their new location ?

- Telling IIS about the change of plans

- Telling MOSS2007 about its new location both initially and i assume in the many sub systems

- Other pitfalls ?

Thanks heaps!!

(i acknowledge the other posts http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/e7cb51e1-a3a4-48e0-b722-22e664123326

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/507ee828-3aeb-4c53-adb8-74daf7f32a27 on this subject but mt scenario is a bit different)

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:39 AM

Answers

• The first thread is pretty suspect. The provided answer from a Microsoft employee (who marked their own answer as the answer) bothers me because it doesn't account for the fact that a clone generally has a different computer name and SID otherwise it couldn't exist on the same network as the original server. There are lots of bits in SharePoint that there is no supported method to change that need to be changed when you clone a farm.

In the second thread, they make the same recommendation I have: don't clone the farm as it's not supported.

The full farm restore will restore all the components that are backed up. You will need to deploy the third party solutions to the new farm before the restore otherwise it may fail. If there is any documentation for these products I recommend reading it ;)

You cannot restore 2007 farm backups to 2010. You will need to do an in-place or database attach upgrade.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Sunday, September 9, 2012 11:29 PM

All replies

• What you are trying to do is unsupported and will likely not work. SharePoint cannot be "cloned" to different servers in the manner you have described.

Is the existing farm still running? If so the best approach is to perform a full farm backup (catastrophic backup) and restore this backup to a new farm.

If the old environment no longer exists, the recommended approach is to build a new farm (install SharePoint, create a new farm and configuration database, create your services, web applications) and then restore the content databases.

You'll notice in both cases, you are creating a new farm (running the configuration wizard) on new hardware and then restoring the data (in the first case all web applications and services, in the second, just the content databases) into the farm.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Jason

Thanks for the feedback, be it bad news for me. I was hoping to minimise risk. So i assume the URLs i provided in the forum were on the wrong path ?

I am pretty sure several add ons exist to the Sharepoint site, created ages ago when we had IT staff who knew about it. (e.g. Ninetex Workflow 2007)

- Will the full farm restore provide all the settings in the various admin areas, as well as the specific site data ?

- Is it possible to restore 2007 backups to 2010 ?

Cheers

Saturday, September 8, 2012 1:20 AM
  • The first thread is pretty suspect. The provided answer from a Microsoft employee (who marked their own answer as the answer) bothers me because it doesn't account for the fact that a clone generally has a different computer name and SID otherwise it couldn't exist on the same network as the original server. There are lots of bits in SharePoint that there is no supported method to change that need to be changed when you clone a farm.

In the second thread, they make the same recommendation I have: don't clone the farm as it's not supported.

The full farm restore will restore all the components that are backed up. You will need to deploy the third party solutions to the new farm before the restore otherwise it may fail. If there is any documentation for these products I recommend reading it ;)

You cannot restore 2007 farm backups to 2010. You will need to do an in-place or database attach upgrade.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Sunday, September 9, 2012 11:29 PM