External Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2 Terra Bite hard drive and it works fine, I can access my files and all of them are working, however, when i copy files to it it freezes halfway through or just at the end and when i try cancel it the whole computer freezes! So im stuck at this moment and need some serious help because i have a lot of data piling up on the tower and need to move it to my external asap

Thanks in advance

Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:41 PM

Answers

• Run chedsk on the disks and make sure there are no errors

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, November 12, 2010 11:28 PM
  • specifcally, run chkdsk /r on your external drive.(click start>run>type cmd>enter>at the command prompt type chkdsk <driveletter>: /r)

example chkdsk e: /r

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can clarify the following question:

1. When did this issue begin to occur? If recently, system restore can be under consideration.

2. Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

3. Can you reproduce this issue on another PC?

Other than corrupted hard disk, let us boot into Safe Mode to test if it has something to do with software conflict.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 15, 2010 8:08 AM

All replies

• specifcally, run chkdsk /r on your external drive.(click start>run>type cmd>enter>at the command prompt type chkdsk <driveletter>: /r)

example chkdsk e: /r

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can clarify the following question:

1. When did this issue begin to occur? If recently, system restore can be under consideration.

2. Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

3. Can you reproduce this issue on another PC?

Other than corrupted hard disk, let us boot into Safe Mode to test if it has something to do with software conflict.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 15, 2010 8:08 AM