none
Tandberg Magnum 224 and DPM 2010 Problem Error 3315 RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Tandberg 224 autoloader with an IBM LTO4 HH Drive.  DPM sees the Library and the drive and will Inventory all the tapes without a problem when I tell it to.  However, when we attempt to run a backup, nothing happens (the autoloader won't put the tape in the drive).  I get error 3311, which states:  

"Status: Active Stand Alone Drive Tape Library : IBM ULTRIUM-HH4 SCSI Sequential Device Description: Job requires tape that is not available in the library (ID: 3315)"

The "Recommended Action" is to add a tape to the library, but the tapes are already in the library and are labeled correctly according to their barcodes.

The job will then just sit, with a status of "waiting for tape"

If I use the panel on the Tandberg to manually move the tape into the drive the job will complete, so it's like DPM isn't able to tell the autoloader what to do when a backup job starts.

I am using the latest Tandberg drivers for both the autoloader and drive and they both show up in Device Manager without errors.  The server is Win2008R2 and is up to date with all Microsoft Updates.

Am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:45 PM

Answers

• Thanks, Mike.  I did try the remapping tool, but it didn't seem to make a difference.  The odd part is that when I clicked on the "Inventory Library" link it properly grabs each tape and inventories it.

I ended up just modifying all my protection groups to not use backup to tape, uninistalled the drive and library from Device Manager, and rebooted.  When the server came back up it detected everything fine.  After reconfiguring my protection groups again to use tape, it's working fine.

Not sure what the problem was or what fixed it, but I'm glad it's resolved.

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• Hi

It sounds like the tape drive is detected as a standalone tape drive and not inside the library.  Does the DPM tape library GUI show "standalone tape drive" - which is outside of the library ?

Try running the DPMDriveMapping.exe utility.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795782.aspx for running DPMDriveMapping.exe from <DPM Install>\Bin folder.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Thanks, Mike.  I did try the remapping tool, but it didn't seem to make a difference.  The odd part is that when I clicked on the "Inventory Library" link it properly grabs each tape and inventories it.

I ended up just modifying all my protection groups to not use backup to tape, uninistalled the drive and library from Device Manager, and rebooted.  When the server came back up it detected everything fine.  After reconfiguring my protection groups again to use tape, it's working fine.

Not sure what the problem was or what fixed it, but I'm glad it's resolved.

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:44 PM