Is domain required for VM running on VMware? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I read the MVMC guide and found the VM on VMware platform need to be joined to a domain the same as the Hyper-V host machine. Is the domain required? Or the VM on VMware can be a standalone machine, such as workgroup?
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:08 AM

All replies

• In case you still need to know... I'm doing this right now.  The ESXi host is not domain joined, but both VM guests are (one is a DC, the other Exchange).  The Server 2012 host I am converting to is also just in its own workgroup, no domain on the host... I'll post back when it is done, but it appears to be working.

-Chuck

• Edited by ChuckB75 Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:51 PM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:50 PM
  • In case you still need to know... I'm doing this right now.  The ESXi host is not domain joined, but both VM guests are (one is a DC, the other Exchange).  The Server 2012 host I am converting to is also just in its own workgroup, no domain on the host... I'll post back when it is done, but it appears to be working.

-Chuck

Well, it failed with a password error... after the 10 hours it took to copy the 250 GB .vmdk file over, then 6.5 hours to convert it, THEN it failed.  Sigh.  I'll join the host to the domain and try again.
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:44 PM