none
Deleting a Storage Pool RRS feed

• Question

Drive Configuration (Disk 1): 5 - 2TB drives / RAID 5 / 7.28TB Capacity (Disk1)

There are several Volumes configured on Disk 1 with a total capacity of approx. 850GB. The rest of Disk1 (6.54TB) is configured for a MS Storage Pool. The Storage Pool has 1 Storage Space, which includes 1 Virtual Disk. 

This was set up before I arrived and I have no idea why it was done this way. In Disk Management, the Storage Space is part of Disk 1 and is displayed as a "Storage Space Protected Partition". The Virtual Disk is displayed as Disk 2.

My questions:

1. Using File and Storage Services, if I delete the Virtual Drive (the data has been backed up), will I then be able to delete the Storage Pool?

2. After deleting the Pool, will this space now show as 'Unallocated' space on Disk1 to be used to increase or add Logical Volumes?

It seems simple enough, but I just want to be sure. Some data on Disk 1 is critical to our operations and access cannot be interrupted for a long period.

Thanks in advance,

Mike C.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

1. Using File and Storage Services, if I delete the Virtual Drive (the data has been backed up), will I then be able to delete the Storage Pool?

>> You will first need to delete the volumes that reside on the virtual disk, once that is done then you can delete the virtual disk. Once the virtual disk has been deleted, you can delete the storage pool.

2. After deleting the Pool, will this space now show as 'Unallocated' space on Disk1 to be used to increase or add Logical Volumes?

>> Once you delete the correct volume that you don't want anymore, the disk space will be shown as "Unallocated" in the Disk Management.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

>> You will first need to delete the volumes that reside on the virtual disk, once that is done then you can delete the virtual disk. Once the virtual disk has been deleted, you can delete the storage pool.

>> Once you delete the correct volume that you don't want anymore, the disk space will be shown as "Unallocated" in the Disk Management.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:57 PM
  • Thank you Leon! I appreciate the quick reply.
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 7:42 PM