Decommission Exchange 2007 servers participating in SCR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I’m having difficulties finding documentation on how to decommission Exchange 2007 servers participating in SCR (Standby Continuous Replication)

Here are the details:

• We have two datacenters: Main datacenter and Disaster Recovery (DR) datacenter
    •        Main Datacenter: Exch 2007 CCR
    •        DR Datacenter: Exchange 2007 SCR
    • We are in the process of upgrading Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010
    • We are planning for period of co-existence between Exch 2007 SP3 to Exch 2010 SP2 while we transition services and mailboxes from Exch 2007 SP3 to Exch 2010 SP2
    • At this point we have already introduced the Exchange 2010 Servers (2 mailbox servers and 2 Hub/CAS servers) to our existing 2007 Organization
    • We have not yet transfer services to Exchange 2010 nor move any mailboxes just yet

Questions:

At this point we would like to decommission the Exchange 2007 Servers in our DR site (1 Mailbox Server acting as the SCR Target and 1 HUB/CAS Server) so we can use these same servers to install Exchange 2010 (1 Mailbox Server that will be eventually added to a new DAG we will create and 1 HUB/CAS Server)

1. What are the required steps to appropriately decommission ONLY the Exchange 2007 Servers in our DR Site? I can find Microsoft documentation on how to uninstall Exchange 2007 servers but I have not been able to find anything specific to my scenario where I want to remove only the SCR Target computer and leaving the SCR Source running at our Main datacenter co-existing with Exchange 2010 while we transfer services to Exchange 2010 and move mailboxes

I was thinking to do the following:

• Disable SCR
    • Delete all SCR files (DBs and Logs) on the Target SCR server
    • Removing Public Folder Replicas
    • Uninstall Exchange 2007 using Add/Remove Programs

Is this correct?

2. What are the implications of decommissioning Exchange 2007 server ONLY on the DR site considering that I want to keep the other Exchange 2007 server at the main data center running for a period of co-existence? Would decommissioning Exchange 2007 server ONLY on the DR site affect somehow the other Exchange 2007 servers (Exchange 2007 Source and HT/CAS servers) at the mail datacenter?

Thanks in advance!

FT

Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For Exchange related questions or issues we recommend you post it in Exchange Server Forums! This is the best resource for Exchange related issues.

Exchange Server Forums!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/exchangeserver,exchange2010,exchangeserverlegacy/

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by JohnToner Monday, November 5, 2012 12:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lawrence,Lu Friday, November 16, 2012 2:28 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 7:24 AM

All replies