none
Windows Server 2016 - IPv6 Stateless DHCP server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small network that has a single Server 2016 handling DNS and IPv4 DHCP for private LAN 192.168.222.0/28. IPv6 on the network is provided by a Linksys router doing IPv6 prefix delegation from the ISP (Comcast) and assigning global IPv6 addresses via SLAAC. I would like to provide LAN clients with an IPv6 DNS server address, so I think I need to enable IPv6 in stateless mode on the Windows server.

How do I do this? Some articles reference changing the DHCP server to "stateless mode" using Server Manager -> Add Roles and Features, but on 2016 there is no such option. I have tried going in to the DHCP server management "IPv6" -> "Server Options" and just setting the "Recursive DNS server" option , but this does not work (clients are not getting the v6 server address). There is surprisingly little information on this kind of setup - I know that using the "RNDSS" option in the router advertisement flag is one way to accomplish this, but the router does not support this.

Saturday, September 1, 2018 11:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I find a document that might be helpful to you. You can refer to the following link for detailed information:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-architecture-documents/dynamic-address-assignment-in-ipv6-using-slaac-and-dhcp/ta-p/3109128

Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Leon

Monday, September 3, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Leon

Monday, September 10, 2018 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:31 AM
  • Hi HK.Leon,

I agree with train_wreck1 that there isn't much (official) information about how to configure SLAAC on Windows Server 2016.

When I searched I found this really old 4SysOps Dokument that points out the main points. But I suppose there have been a few changes since Server 2008 R2... e.g. you now don't have to configure IPv6 in the Add Roles Wizard.

The article can be found here: https://4sysops.com/archives/the-difference-between-stateless-and-stateful-mode-of-a-windows-server-2008-r2-dhcpv6-server/

The Cisco link from you touches more advanced topics as the switch configuration doesn't come with a GUI.

Regards,

Dequester

Sunday, March 3, 2019 2:28 PM