Windows Packet Filtering Issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using windows server 2012 r2 Standard Edition, in windows packet Filtering (WPF) it is blocking inbound connection which I can see in event log under that in the security audit log that the inbound connection is blocked by WFP

Direction = Inbound

Source Address = x.x.x.x

Source Port = 53849

Destination Address = 127.0.0.1

Destination Port = 9191

Protocol = 6

Blocked by WFP

Is there any way we can disable WFP or can tweak it to allow the connection,

Thanks

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi moizezzy,

In regard to your issue of ‘windows packet filtering’ , I want to confirm that whether your event log is Event 5157. For more detailed information, you can refer to the following link:
    5157(F): The Windows Filtering Platform has blocked a connection.

Because disabling WPF can make the computer vulnerable to attack, for security, we suggest that you can add port 9191 in Firewall to allow the inbound connection.
    Please follow: Windows Firewall with advanced security> Inbound rules> New rule

Hope my answer will help you, thanks!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:11 AM
  • Hello Gloria,

The are a lot of Event ID 5152 Audit Failure in the security section of the Event Viewer

"the windows server filtering platform has blocked a packet"

I wondered if it's firewall related but allowing port in firewall had no affect on preventing these to pile up and they are generating almost every minute.

Aslo i Monitored that some of the connections are blocked by WPF else the connection is established.

Friday, July 3, 2020 4:27 AM
  • Hi moizezzy,

If the connection can be successfully establish but event viewer still keep repeating this error. You can configure these two policy through: Local security policy> Advanced audit policy configuration> Object access, and check the event viewer again.

Hope my answer will help you, thanks!

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Gloria Gu Friday, July 3, 2020 8:45 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 8:45 AM
  • Hello,

Currently it us Un-Checked So do i need to mark it checked.

Friday, July 3, 2020 8:49 AM
  • Hi moizezzy,

Yeah, you can choose the option 'Configure the following audit events' as the screenshot showed.

Friday, July 3, 2020 8:56 AM
  • Hello Gloria,

I think there is some confusion, Lets take an Example:-

We have 7000 IOT Devices Which Connects to the Windows Server From Diffrent IP,s From Which 5000 Devices Can Connect With the Server but the rest Can,t Connect, So when i checked security audit there was the log that WPF was blocking the Inbound Connection And the source ip was of one of our IOT Devices and when i check that particular Device it was disconnected and have the IP which was showing in in the Security Audit log.

I hope you got the whole Scenario i want that 7000 Connection is to be made none of the connection should be blocked.

Friday, July 3, 2020 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Since that the error message you provided was general, so we can only find some general methodes to solve this problem. We've tried them but none of them worked.

I would  suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue. 
    Global Customer Service phone numbers

Monday, July 6, 2020 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
    Gloria

Friday, July 31, 2020 8:13 AM