Windows Media Player without DVD decoder RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just now finding out after purchasing an external DVD R/W (player) that I cannot play DVDs in Windows 10. I have tried looking for the decoder so I may purchase, but I keep being led in circles. Does anyone know where I can go to purchase this decoder so I may finally use the DVD player in Windows Media Player for Windows 10 Home?
    Saturday, June 25, 2016 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I consider this could be driver issue for your DVD drive.

Please first contact the DVD drive manufacturer to see if it can be supported in Windows 10.

If it can be supported, please check following solutions:

http://windowsreport.com/cd-rom-not-working-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If it still fail to work, check if other DVD player software as Mr happy mentioned worked for you.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:52 PM

All replies

• VLC media player is a free and well known media player. Have a look at that it will play DVD and pretty much all media formats.
    Saturday, June 25, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

I consider this could be driver issue for your DVD drive.

Please first contact the DVD drive manufacturer to see if it can be supported in Windows 10.

If it can be supported, please check following solutions:

http://windowsreport.com/cd-rom-not-working-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If it still fail to work, check if other DVD player software as Mr happy mentioned worked for you.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:52 PM