How to track message going through direct port? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to know how to track messages on direct ports so that I can investigate the message body and properties from the BizTalk admin console.

For example, when i investigate the tracked messages of an orchestration from the BizTalk Admin Console (Show Tracked Message Events), I can see the message bodies and properties going through physical ports I have configured to track messages and properties but I need to be able to investigate the messages for direct port as well.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks and regards,

Francois

Friday, June 29, 2012 12:06 PM

Answers

• Are you sure you are not seeing the tracked messages for direct bind ports?

To be 100% sure I just created a test project. Orchestration with 3 shapes (Receive, Send -Direct, Send -Specify Later), enabled all the tracking (message body, properties, events) on the orchestrations.

On the Adminstration console, click on on BizTalk Tracking Database, Search For = Tracked Service Instances, right-click on the orchestration and select "Show Tracked Message Events"

There will be 3 message events for the orchestration showing the 3 ports (port1 - Receive, port 2 - send(d), port 3- Send(sl))

Port 2 is the direct bound port, you can double click and see all the properties and message content.

Saravana Kumar [MVP BizTalk Server],
    Founder/CTO BizTalk360 (BizTalk360.com
    Blog: blogs.digitaldeposit.net/saravana/
    Community: biztalk247.com/

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

•  

Message Box direct bound ports enable you to drop messages directly into the Message Box database without an explicit recipient, and to subscribe to messages that meet certain criteria rather than messages that come from a particular sender. So as per my understanding you cannot track message going out through direct bound port but you can track at subscriber side .

Thanks,

Chandra Kumar,

MCTS,BizTalk Server

Friday, June 29, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Hi Chandra,

Thanks for our input, so do you know how to have the receiving orchestration (the subscriber) track the message received through the direct port?

Regards,

Francois

Friday, June 29, 2012 1:26 PM
  • I believe you could able to see the tracked message if it is direct port also from Orchestration.

BizTalk assigns the Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) to identify the message every time. You could able to verify it using BizTalkMsgBoxDb and table name called as TrackingMessageReferences. You will be seeing the ID and messageID and need to play with join statement to get the exact result.

You could use BAM to achieve your scenario.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/biztalkgeneral/thread/6397975e-d4be-4254-ae7f-a4001b0d1dca/

Thanks, Raja MCTS BizTalk Server 2010, MCC If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

Friday, June 29, 2012 1:34 PM
  • So is there no way to see messages going through direct port from the BizTalk admin console?

I would like to leverage the BizTalk admin console instead of having to do custom development using BAM - which is not an option right now.

Thanks

Francois

Friday, June 29, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Are you sure you are not seeing the tracked messages for direct bind ports?

To be 100% sure I just created a test project. Orchestration with 3 shapes (Receive, Send -Direct, Send -Specify Later), enabled all the tracking (message body, properties, events) on the orchestrations.

On the Adminstration console, click on on BizTalk Tracking Database, Search For = Tracked Service Instances, right-click on the orchestration and select "Show Tracked Message Events"

There will be 3 message events for the orchestration showing the 3 ports (port1 - Receive, port 2 - send(d), port 3- Send(sl))

Port 2 is the direct bound port, you can double click and see all the properties and message content.

Saravana Kumar [MVP BizTalk Server],
    Founder/CTO BizTalk360 (BizTalk360.com
    Blog: blogs.digitaldeposit.net/saravana/
    Community: biztalk247.com/

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Hi Saravana,

I am sure that I did not see the tracked message. And thanks to your kind explanation, I found the reason which was that I did not enable message tracking at the orchestration level!

So the moral of the story is that:

1. To be able to track messages on "physical" ports, message tracking is set at the port level (obvious).

2. To be able to track messages on direct ports, message tracking must be enabled at the orchestration level.

I should have thought of this but anyhow thanks a lot Saravana!

Kind regards,

Francois

Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:11 PM