none
Major Security Flaw RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that there is a major security flaw in steadystate. Users can quite easily access the "my network places" folder.
    For example: Windows media player. All you have to do is go to 'file' > 'open' and 'my network places' appears in the bar on the left.
    Blocking windows media player does not help, as even places on the net invoke the 'browse' funtion. eg: facebook (add a picture), etc.
    Am I missing something? The only place to remove the 'my network places' icon is in the start menu.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:20 AM

Answers

• Hi, you should be able to remove the icon through the Windows Restrictions, under general settings, the check box for this should be around the top/middle portion of the settings.  Unfortunately I don't have a Screen shot for you, but the check box is defiantly in Windows Restriction :)

Respectfully,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA 95023
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi, you should be able to remove the icon through the Windows Restrictions, under general settings, the check box for this should be around the top/middle portion of the settings.  Unfortunately I don't have a Screen shot for you, but the check box is defiantly in Windows Restriction :)

Respectfully,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA 95023
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:50 PM
  • If this doesn't work to your satisfaction, open group policy using mmc and browse to User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Explorer. Open No “Entire Network” in My Network Places. Set to Enabled. This blocks it for all users, including you.

CCC
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:24 PM