Installing Highpoint Rocketraid 2220 driver makes faulty boot (stuck at 'Windows Starting'), used to work before... RRS feed

• Question

• Recently my system has encountered some weird issues.

Specs:
    LGA 775 motherboard Asus P5Q-E
    E8500 CPU (overclocked to 3.6 ish)
    GTX470 GPU
    Corsair TX750 PSU
    Mushkin 2x2gb ram
    Highpoint Rocketraid 2220 pci-x 8 port sata/raid controller.

Note: the boot drive is an intel ssd drive connect to the motherboard, and the raid controller is only used for a raid 5 storage array. No peripherals apart from usb mouse and keyboard and a microphone and headset (3.5mm jacks) is connected to the system.  

I believe the issue started with the install of a windows update (configured as automatic download and install), about a week and a half ago.
    The issue is that upon restarting the machine the boot process is halted at the 'Windows Starting' screen. If in safemode the boot sequence halts at \windows\systems32\drivers\classpnp.sys -is there a way to find out which file the system is attempting to load after the classpnp.sys file? Considering the issue is with the raid controller it appear plausible that the issue is with its driver.

To make the system work again i had to perform a clean install, obviously something wasn't right.
    After reinstalling the system with all the necessary drivers for various components the turn came to the raid controller. I reinstalled the pci-x raid controller per manufacturers instructions (Highpoint Rocketraid 2220), using the latest drivers v1.9 i believe.

Two scenarios now emerge:
    firstly, the new install the system yields "error 10" for the raid card. To the best of my google skills "error 10" refers to an inability for the hardware to start (properly). There is no issue with booting under this scenario. The system boots but i have no access to my array, nor can the highpoint utility access the controller. Something is amiss. I can access the device through bios and from the limited options in the bios it appear that the device is not dead, and i could add a spare drive to my array from bios;

secondly, i install the driver but upon rebooting the system is stuck at the 'Windows Starting' screen, and the only option is to restore the system to a state prior to the install of the raid driver. This works and everything is normal and stable, apart from the missing availability of my raid array. 

Two possibilities seem plausible:
    1. the controller has somehow 'died'.
    -this seems plausible, however I can load the cards bios, which somewhat contradicts this statement.
    - according to the controllers bios one of the 7 drives in R5 is degraded, this i believe has occurred recently, and therefore the system is defined as 'critical'. However, should this mean that the system cannot start the controller? The options in the raid controller bios are limited, and does not allow me to rebuild the redundancy using a spare drive from bios, this as far as i have understood has to be performed through the provided software.

2. Win7 somehow prevents the controller from starting. 
    -this option seems implausible. I used the same win7 image to install win7 on both occasions (via thumb drive), without updating the image with windows updates in a vLite type approach. To check whether it was some form for update that prevented the raid controller from working I reinstalled the system without automatic updates etc with no change in the status quo.
    -It is my understanding that the drivers for the highpoint card are not digitally signed, and that this can be an issue (?).

Now to the really weird. Up to a week and a half ago the system worked without issues in win7 (64), as it also have in vista (64) and win xp home (32). Obviously the performance from this solution is not stellar but it is generally been enough for the my needs. I have used the same driver versions on my win7 install as of 2 weeks ago as i attempt to use now. Further, to assess whether the issue has anything to do with a windows update the first time i performed a clean install i used the manual options denying any automatic updates, with not change in the situation, as well as performing a new clean install basically reinstalling all the programs etc that i normally use, with the same persisting issue.

-i have read somewhere that the driver signature process in win7 could be an issue and i have at one point disabled this thingy with no results ( driver signing is currently on)
    -i do not believe, correct me if im wrong, that something is amiss with the classpnp.sys file as i understand that the system hangs after loading this file and I have therefore not attempted to replace this file from e.g. the install medium.
    -i have also checked if my cpu / ram overclock influenced the issue, it has not i have run the mobo on default config since the issue appeared.

I appreciate any insight and aid in resolving this issue. It is truly a PITA.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:38 PM

Answers

• I believe I have identified the problem and found a workaround.

Windows incorrectly detects my Highpoint Rocketraid 2220 as a Sonnet Tempo SCSI controller.

After automatically installing the software for the incorrect Sonnet Tempo, and re-starting, the pc will no longer boot.

To work around the problem, I unplugged the pc from the internet, installed a fresh copy of Windows, and as SOON as the pc FIRST BOOTED, I clicked on "Have Disk" and told it to Install the correct latest driver for the RocketRaid 2220.

Problem solved for me.
    • Proposed as answer by HowTeckSoon Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:06 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

It can be related to hard drive or BIOS settings. I suggest updating BIOS from manufacture's website or restoring it to default.

Also please contact the device manufacture to examine the hardware issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:39 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It can be related to hard drive or BIOS settings. I suggest updating BIOS from manufacture's website or restoring it to default.

Also please contact the device manufacture to examine the hardware issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:39 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Just as you have, I've been using windows 7 installed on a hard drive plugged in to the motherboard, with a raid 5 array plugged in to the Hpt ROcketraid 2220.

I removed the hard drive windows had been installed on, and replaced it with a Crucial 64Gb SSD, put in the windows 7 cd and reinstalled.

Everything was fine.

After the first automatic update, the system froze in the same way you describe.

If this is an issue with your hardware, then mine broke too at the EXACT same second I installed an SSD drive and ran a windows update.  Does not sound likely to me.

With respect to the bios, this exact setup has worked perfectly for years.  I have not changed any device connected to the Hpt 2220.  All I have done is update Windows.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 8:45 PM
  • I've successfully flashed to the latest bios (1.7) to no avail.

Still stuck on "Starting Windows" screen.
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Hi,

Please try the Startup Repair. When computer starting, keep pressing F8. When booting into advanced startup option, select Repair Your Computer. In System Recovery Options, select the first option Startup Repair.

Before installing updates, try System Update Readiness Tool first.

For x64
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=914fbc5b-1fba-4bae-a7c3-d2c47c6fcffc

For x86
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=44E15787-66B0-4E9C-9C3B-1FC9EA40F69F

Regards,

L.S 

Monday, August 8, 2011 9:55 AM
  • I believe I have identified the problem and found a workaround.

Windows incorrectly detects my Highpoint Rocketraid 2220 as a Sonnet Tempo SCSI controller.

After automatically installing the software for the incorrect Sonnet Tempo, and re-starting, the pc will no longer boot.

To work around the problem, I unplugged the pc from the internet, installed a fresh copy of Windows, and as SOON as the pc FIRST BOOTED, I clicked on "Have Disk" and told it to Install the correct latest driver for the RocketRaid 2220.

Problem solved for me.
    • Proposed as answer by HowTeckSoon Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:06 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 4:28 PM