none
Email to subdomain does not bounce back to user RRS feed

• Question

• Our AD domain is ad.domain.com and our email uses the top level domain of domain.com.  However when a user sends an email to user1@ad.domain.com it eventually bounces back with a delivery failed message after a few days of retrying.  When an email is sent to user1@new.domain.com (which is not setup anywhere in exchange or DNS) it immediately bounces back.

Domain.com is set as the accepted domain for exchange as well.  I'm assuming that because our active directory domain is ad.ccrsb.ca that the system thinks its a valid mail domain and tries to send mail to it.  I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to have email sent to @ad.domain.com to immediately bounce back to the user just like sending to another invalid mail domain.  We don't want email sent to ad.domain.com to go through to the users at all because that will not stop users from sending to the bad addresses.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Matt,

Welcome to Technet forum.

This is by design and a default behavior, as you said, Exchange will attempt to send emails to ad.domain.com again and again.

If you want to check it, in my opinion, we suggest you use transport rule to achieve it:

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Hi Matt,

Because ad.domain.com record could be retrieved in domain.com, Exchange will try to send emails to ad.domain.com until expiration intervals arrived. However new.domain.com could not be retrieved by AD, then it will be bouncing back right away.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj891103%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Friday, April 15, 2016 8:32 AM

All replies

• Exchange domain names have no relationship to AD domain names.  For you to receive mail for ad.domain.com, you need (1) an accepted domain, (2) a recipient with the SMTP address user1@ad.domain.com, and an MX record that points ad.domain.com to your Exchange server.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Welcome to Technet forum.

This is by design and a default behavior, as you said, Exchange will attempt to send emails to ad.domain.com again and again.

If you want to check it, in my opinion, we suggest you use transport rule to achieve it:

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Thanks for the quick responses.

Ed, I did remove an MX record that was still setup for ad.domain.com, there is no recipient with the SMTP address I am trying to send to but I cannot remove ad.domain.com form the accepted domain as the accepted domain is set to domain.com.

Jim, I can see your suggesting likely working, but I was hoping to figure out why email to @ad.domain.com are not bouncing back right away. 

When we first setup the exchange server it was set to @ad.domain.com but then a few days later we moved it to @domain.com and haven't been able to shake the @ad.domain.com out of the system completely since.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 11:19 AM
  • Why can't you remove ad.domain.com as an accepted domain?  What happens when you try?

Remove-AcceptedDomain -Identity "ad.domain.com"

Please post the complete command you enter and error message you receive in text format, not a picture.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 10:31 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Because ad.domain.com record could be retrieved in domain.com, Exchange will try to send emails to ad.domain.com until expiration intervals arrived. However new.domain.com could not be retrieved by AD, then it will be bouncing back right away.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj891103%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Friday, April 15, 2016 8:32 AM