Perfmon.exe / Resource Monitor hangs the computer when certain pages are opened in firefox or chrome. RRS feed

• Question

• I've had this issue that started sometime last year that is finally annoying me too much.    Sometimes when I have resource monitor running and open a certain webpage.  perfmon.exe will get stuck at 25% cpu use and hang the computer.    I have to patiently get my skipping mouse across the stalling desktop till i am able to close performance monitor.  

This happens in the latest chrome and firefox, whether I run the browsers in safe mode or not.   But this does not happen in IE.   Why should that be?  Its very strange.    Could it be an adobe flash issue?  Why does it not affect IE?   When googling I have found many similar issues related to chrome and firefox and perfmon.

I am on a fresh install after a full format and even have a different video card now, and the issue is still happening so I thought I should make a post about it.

I can recreate the issue by  opening my favorite blog on youtube, security now!,   and then opening up for example this page in another tab:    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.at_play.    Then open resource monitor and after a couple seconds the computer will start hanging on and off.   It happens with random webpages while perfmon.exe is open.

I wonder if this is related to the fact, that consent.exe asks for network access when I right click to run a program as administrator,  only when  performance monitor is open.  Which i've made a post about in the networking forum.

Performance monitor is a great tool and a very user friendly UI with lots of helpful info to monitor (i just wish they had graphs or info for usage over time), but I still prefer to use it more then process explorer or the tools in sysinternals by far,   but lately it is becoming really scary!   I hope this is looked into.

Thanks, 

Rich.

• Edited by RichAC Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try running these browsers with no add-ons.

Or you can test in clean boot to see whether the issue occurs.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

If the issue persists, since the issue occur in other browsers but not IE. I recommend you contact their support for further help, they can provide you with more valuable suggestions.

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, December 23, 2013 9:18 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

If the issue persists, since the issue occur in other browsers but not IE. I recommend you contact their support for further help, they can provide you with more valuable suggestions.

Regards,

Ada Liu

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, December 23, 2013 9:18 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

Regards,

Ada Liu

Yes i've done a clean boot and ran firefox in safe mode and the issue still occurs.  It does not occur in IE.   I would switch back to IE if you could control the scripts on the webpages better like noscript or notscript.

I know you guys aren't allowed to click links,  wonder if anyone else can recreate the same issue?

• Edited by RichAC Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:37 PM
    Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:36 PM