none
Beginner RRS feed

• Question

• HI ,

Im a beginner for MAP toolkit,

i need steps to run the reports.I need info about hardware n software in my domain.

Pls any1 assist me.

thanks,

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:58 AM

All replies

• You can take a look at the Getting Started Guide which will take you through the process of preparing your environment and figuring out what inventory scenarios you may want to choose in the inventory wizard, but there isn't a step-by-step for Usage Tracking specifically. This is because there is no such thing as a “standard” or “typical” network environment. This will require you to take the general information provided in the documentation and extrapolate that to determine how it applies to your environment.

In regards to licensing, I would like to make the distinction that MAP is just a data collection tool and does not determine compliance. Licensing is mostly about documentation and you can use MAP to help compare what it finds to what you have for license documentation. If you have any issues with using MAP or generating reports, then I can help, but I don’t know about licensing, so you will need to direct those questions to the licensing professional you are working with.

There isn't any one report that will give you everything you need for the audit, since the information required can vary. Here are some of the more common ones that you can use; I will try to break them into groups. All of these reports can be generated from each scenario's detail page, most of which are found under the Usage Tracking scenario group.

For Windows operating systems:
    You can use the reports found in the Active Devices and Users and Windows Volume License scenarios. The Active Devices and Users report has additional columns at the end if you need to make notes about machines, such as development vs. production machines, machines that are still in Active Directory but no longer exist, etc. The Windows Volume License scenario requires that remote PowerShell is enabled on all of the applicable client machines.

For applications installed:
    There is not a report built into MAP that gives detailed break outs by machine, but directions for exporting the data manually into Excel can be found in this blog post. If you are only interested in summary information, you can find this report in Environment > Windows Environment.

For software servers (SQL, Exchange, etc.):
    View their respective summary pages under the Usage Tracking scenario group.

For CALs:
    To get Windows Server, SQL Server, and SharePoint Server CAL info you need to enable logging on the supported servers and then import and parse those logs after they have been collecting the data for long enough. We recommend 90 days but you can work out the amount of logging that will be acceptable with your licensing professional. As you might imagine, this is a more involved process that is detailed in this TechNet Wiki article. Exchange, SCCM, and Forefront Endpoint Protection will have data without importing logs.

It has been my experience that the licensing people are willing to work with you on what machines should be counted. I’m not sure what documentation they may need, but I would certainly ask what is and isn't necessary.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:44 PM