none
Windows 10 Multi-Language deployment - having a nightmare.... RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All,

    So, I have a deployment scenario that requires me to deploy a windows 10 enterprise image with a bunch of language packs ready to go. Ideally I want the default display language and locale etc to be en-GB, with German, Swiss-German, Spanish, Danish and Russian available to turn on as needed. note I do NOT want en-US to even be available on this system.

    I set my reference image up in this fashion prior to capturing, ie removed en-us, and installed all of the above packs direct from within the UI, was able to switch languages all fine a and en-US was nowhere to be seen...... until I ran the sysprep and capture script which seemed to not only undo all the above work on the reference image, but also to my frustration, the WIM, when deployed has en-US back as default and the others seem to be uninstalled.

    Fine, okay this would have been to easy.

    So I hooked into the WIM with DISM and installed the required packs,

    removed the unwanted en-US (at least I think so, according to the console it seemed to succeed although I still get the same output as above?)

    and even set the international parameters to default to en-GB just for fun.

    I've replaced the WIM in my workbench, updated the task sequence and deployment share and redeployed and still no luck. the various packs are installed on the imaged pc now, so its a step forward, but en-US is still default and I have to manually change to en-GB - As does every user that may need to use the PC after its gone through the oobe.... not good as the PC's are used by multiple people.

    I have defined en-GB in all of the international config settings in my unattennd.xml, and even specified it in CS.ini for belt and braces.

    Would really appreciate it someone could let me know where I'm going wrong. this is my first experience with deploying windows 10 and doing multi-language deployments so I'm dealing with a couple of unknowns...

    Thanks....


    • Edited by benp1983 Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:31 PM

All replies

  • Hello benp1983,

    May I suggest adding a run powershell script command to the final deployment task sequence to make the changes you are doing manually?

    You can use Set-WinSystemLocale and Set-WinUserLanguageList powershell commands. Here is a sample of what I use. My case is a little different as I am using a master image built from the Japanese source iso and trying to set English in the list:

    $LANGUAGE="ja-JP"
    Set-WinSystemLocale $LANGUAGE
    Set-WinUserLanguageList $LANGUAGE
    $list = Get-WinUserLanguageList
    $list.Add("en-US")
    Set-WinUserLanguageList -LanguageList $list -Force

    Regards,

    dlofstedt


    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 6:24 PM
  • Thanks for the input gents,

    just to clarify my tl;dr post, what I'm trying to achieve is setting the Default UI locale etc to en-GB, and if possible to remove the en-US language pack. The language packs I need are installed and available, its just about avoiding the manual steps to set.

    @dlofstedt, that looks like a potential workaround if I cant achieve it vie OSD. thanks.

    Thursday, July 7, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Set this registry key for default user:
    Key: HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop
    Name: PreferredUILanguages
    Value: en-GB
    Type: MultiString

    Thursday, July 7, 2016 12:39 PM
  • These are all great answers and giving me lots of food for thought.

    @Gaëtan Hermann

    This seemed promising, but for whatever reason it didn't work :/

    What I find strange is that I never had to do this when deploying windows 7 in previous projects of this nature, my unattend.xml took care of business... id really like to know why the en-US keeps reappearing...

    Thursday, July 7, 2016 3:17 PM
  • These are all great answers and giving me lots of food for thought.

    @Gaëtan Hermann

    This seemed promising, but for whatever reason it didn't work :/

    What I find strange is that I never had to do this when deploying windows 7 in previous projects of this nature, my unattend.xml took care of business... id really like to know why the en-US keeps reappearing...


    I had the same problem with en-US, de-DE, fr-FR and it-IT. I had to set registry key (de-DE) to the default user (C:\Users\Default\NTUser.dat). You can inject this into default user with PowerShell App Deployment Toolkit.
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 5:49 PM