Selling branch office of single 2008R2 domain - how to preserve users, printers, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a single domain 2008R2 installation for our 16 locations. There are one or two domain controllers at each location. We're selling one of the branch offices and need to remove them from our domain. But we want to preserve the users, access lists, etc. on the domain controller that they'll keep and use into the future. They'll have no IT on staff so I'd like to make this as easy for them as possible.

1. Is there a facility that makes this easy?

2. If not, I intend to break the network connection, seize all master roles on the branch office server, make the branch office the PDC and remove the other AD objects not on premises. Then I'd rename the domain. At the old corporate network, I'd remove the branch office DC from the schema. Will that work? Anything I'm missing?

• Moved by Yan Li_ Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:03 AM (From:General)
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:40 PM

Answers

• I didn't see any easier way so ended up demoting it, promoting it into its own domain, creating users. Then I moved the workstations to the new domain, logged on to the workstations with the new users' accounts and copied the important info from their own profiles to their new ones. Ran into a few problems with that but it's working acceptably now.

We'll encounter this issue again. Wish I had a cleaner solution.

• Marked as answer by drossarndt Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:13 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

check this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/activedirectoryua/archive/2010/05/06/active-directory-mergers-acquisitions-and-divestitures.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply. Can you see any reason that my item 2 wouldn't work? I'm interested in preserving user profiles on workstations as well as all the security acl's.
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:00 PM
  • I've no personal first-hand experience with the task, but it seems to me that there would be a lot of lingering object references on both sides that would cause grief (if not immediately then sometime down the track).

best to ask in the DS forum since I'd see the DS as most likely impacted

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/winserverDS/threads

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Hi,

As if you only have one domain, all Domain Controllers have same domain information, such as users, computers, printers. Although we remove the branch office DC from our domain, but all users information still there, as other DCs keep those information also.

For those shares in the branch office DC, I would like suggest you move them to your other living DC or other file server, so that users still can recieve them.

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:21 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:06 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Regards

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:21 AM
  • I didn't see any easier way so ended up demoting it, promoting it into its own domain, creating users. Then I moved the workstations to the new domain, logged on to the workstations with the new users' accounts and copied the important info from their own profiles to their new ones. Ran into a few problems with that but it's working acceptably now.

We'll encounter this issue again. Wish I had a cleaner solution.

• Marked as answer by drossarndt Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:13 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:13 PM