none
Client submitted Projects/Enhancements/One-Offs RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings amazing Project Server 2013 Gurus!

Our institution will have MS Project Server 2013 with SharePoint 2013 in the next two months.

I need to start designing the project processes now to get a head of the game so......I will start with the most basic because I can do almost everything else.

How do I go about creating a client initiated submission form for everything that is not break-fix. How will the requests get routed? From the client perspective is there a "Where is it in the request pipeline" tracking?

Is it possible to create a specific form that will help identify specific types of projects/enhancements/One-Offs(standalone tasks)?

If this is possible for the client (project requester) side then how detailed can I get with criteria/routing/ect?

Thanks,

Bill

Monday, July 14, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

As far as I understand, your need is to design a custom workflow with stages and phases. From the submission to project approval, planning, execution and closing, you can propose at each phase/stage web forms with project attributes, adding eventually approvals to go forward to the next stage. 

Project Server has various reporting features that will give you an overview of your project pipeline based on your attributes.

You also can define various project types (EPT) to which you can attach specific governance such as WBS, workflow, project site template, webforms (called PDP).

To resume, I'd say that implementing Project Server requires a good knowledge in Project and Portfolio Management but also high skills on the product itself. I'd strongly recommend that you take support from one of the expert firm on Project Server.

Feel free to ask for more details, links or anything. Since your question is quite high level, my reply is so but I'll be glad to provide you links, either technical or about methodology.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume!

I have a firm understanding and years of experience with several models/methodologies of PM/PMO/EPMO. In years past I have leveraged AtTask for all this in the past but in my new position here (two weeks now) the only tool is going to be MS Project Server 2013 and SharePoint 2013 in the next 6 weeks.

I am very comfortable with most aspects of MS Project functionality except the inbound workflow of a request. Do you have any links on creating these for user submission?

All the best,

Bill Branch

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Greetings Guillaume,

Finally we MS Project Server 2013 and SharePoint 2013 set up...

I need to know how I can allow anyone to submit a project request through a web-based form.

The submission should go into the project proposal to be vetted. I can take care of the rest...

Your thoughts?

Thanks Bill

Friday, January 23, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Bill,

I'd use the built-in proposal form to do this. This allows initial evaluation to go on in SharePoint and allows you to gather specific data for this evaluation, without having to store it all in Project Server.

Prasanna has a great video on how to do this. http://www.prasannaadavi.com/2014/01/project-server-2013-workflows-series1.html I've also done a version where based on the type of proposal, you can branch the workflow to use different Enterprise Project Types as the starting point.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | http://www.tumbleroad.com | @TumbleRoad | Take Our Project Administrator Survey

Monday, January 26, 2015 10:03 PM