none
DPM 2010 on a cluster, and restoring a file from inside a .vhd RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2010 installed on a VM in a 2 node Hyper-V cluster. I was going to move the DPM install to the host to back up the VM's as .vhd containers (until I read this from the DPM 2010 quick start guide):

DPM 2010 is designed to be run on a dedicated, single-purpose computer. The DPM server is not supported on any of the following: A computer on which the Application Server role is installed; A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server; A computer on which Exchange Server is running; A computer that is a node of a cluster

This means I cannot install DPM 2010 on either node, right? And if that is so, how to back up .vhd's? Tried to install an agent on the host from the VM to back up the branch I'm sitting on  :^), but neither host shows up in the agent list.

What is the right setup in this situation? From the VM, or from the host? Or from another box?

Which leads me to a second question: I did set up DPM 2010 as a secondary on the host of a remote stand-alone Hyper-V environment . I did a replica of a VM, and when I went to test file restore functionality, I found the file, but I couldn't just put the file back; I had to drill to the restore location, and then the file was restored as a folder\in a folder\in a folder containing the whole original path. Is simply 'restore to the original location' not an option when restoring a Hyper-V VM file from the container? (It didn't matter if I had the agent installed on the target VM or not - I tried it both ways.)

Rob

Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:28 PM

Answers

• In a standalone VM (VM hosted on cluster is fine) is fine but storage pool has to be passthrough or iSCSI disks.

DPM + Hyper-V role is a supported scenario for small business and branche scenarios.

Yes, DPM Hyper-V protection is designed to protect VM's in whole (agent installed on the host)

Not really, this is a case by case evaluation.
    If need higher granularity (every few hours) then install agent inside VM and do normal DPM protection.
    If VM gets very big (150-200GB) due to data (you cannot select VHD's) better option might be to do SystemProtection + application/file protection rather than as whole VM.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, November 22, 2010 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

ILR from VHD cannot "to original location" currently.

Indeed you cannot run DPM server on a cluster node.
    DPM needs to be a separate server, install agents on all Hyper-V clusternodes and you can protect VM's as;

- Backup using Saved State (offline)
    - Backup using Child partition snapshot (online)
      This is not possible if conditions apply as outlined here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399205.aspx

Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Hi Ruud,

Thanks for your time, and for clarifying my direction - it is much appreciated.

I am currently running primary DPM on a VM on the cluster. Is that supported?

What is the general opinion of running DPM on a Hyper-V host? I am running secondary DPM on a remote single site server from the Hyper-V host.

I will try setting up DPM on its own box local to the cluster tomorrow. Can you install a DPM agent on a Hyper-V host? And back up the VM's from the host as a container? (yeah, I suppose I should just try it...)

It looks like I should want both kinds of backups; .vhd backups for fast DR and file backups for fast original file location recovery. I suppose the trick is getting the right mix depending on how static the data is, how much storage space you have, etc. Any rules or words of wisdom here?

Rob

Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:50 PM
  • In a standalone VM (VM hosted on cluster is fine) is fine but storage pool has to be passthrough or iSCSI disks.

DPM + Hyper-V role is a supported scenario for small business and branche scenarios.

Yes, DPM Hyper-V protection is designed to protect VM's in whole (agent installed on the host)

Not really, this is a case by case evaluation.
    If need higher granularity (every few hours) then install agent inside VM and do normal DPM protection.
    If VM gets very big (150-200GB) due to data (you cannot select VHD's) better option might be to do SystemProtection + application/file protection rather than as whole VM.

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:47 AM